Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of power, plenty of boost

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 10:18 PM
1st Gear
Default Loss of power, plenty of boost

Hello all,

Got an issue im a little stumped on and need some help trying to troubleshoot. I will explain the issue first.

Issue:
Last night I noticed I had a very large amount of power loss when driving. Feels like it has less HP than it did stock. I started troubleshooting and notice I am boosting really early. Like when you would normally have backpressure im pulling 5 PSI already. And when I do push it a little it jump to 15 PSI very easily, too easily and too fast with still barely any power. Its almost like the turbo is doing all the work when im excelorating. I also hear a massive amount of air rushing somewhere and cant pinpoint it becase it only happens when under boost which I cant reproduce by just revving the engine. There are no codes at all and I have driven the car about 75 miles in this condition so I assume they would apprear if by now.

Troubleshooting:
I switched out the 710n with a brand new one and I still have the same issue, also checked all the lines between the DV, turbo inlet pipe and the airbox. I did a general check of all the lines I could see without taking anything apart from top and underneith. So the turbo system seems to be working its almost like the engine itself is not putting out any power. My boost gauge is tapped between the FPR and the intake manifold so thats where im getting my PSI readings.

My specs are in the sig below and if you need to know anything I have not mentioned please ask.I do have a vagcom and can run logs if need be, just tell me which blocks you want.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:08 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Loss of power, plenty of boost

there is another vavle between the hose that goes to the intake.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:33 PM
2nd Gear

i need to know the color of your car to make a diagnosis, J/k, when the car is cold power soapy water around the big joints that hodl your boost, you may have a leak you cant see, and check the other vavle sp33d told u about

Old 06-28-2007, 03:55 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the suggestions im going to try the soap trick. Visually that valve looks good but I will check it with the soap trick while im checking everything else.

Thanks!

Old 06-28-2007, 04:18 PM
2nd Gear

You should build 5 psi really fast. I wouldnt worry about that so much

Old 06-28-2007, 05:14 PM
1st Gear

Tried the soap and came up with no results. I assume its becuase the issue only happens during boost which I can not get by just revving. I also made an apointment with my local tuning shop for the 10th of July, it was the soonest time they had available. So I have till then to try and figure this issue out before bringing it to them.

Does anyone else have any other suggestion?

Old 06-28-2007, 05:37 PM
2nd Gear

bro i had the same problem try ressetting your battery and make sure the dv and that other vavle is ok. i wish i knew what was the name of that other vavle it is similar to dv vavle but its not the same.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:28 PM
1st Gear

Not sure resetting everything will resolve the issue. I still have that wooshing air noise that I dont believe it will fix.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:37 PM
Site Moderator

You need totake the air box ducting/snorkal out to get a good look at the hoses around the N75/turbo area. It doesnt sound like you did this.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:18 PM
1st Gear

Yeah I took out the plastic coverings off yesterday and gave a look at everything . I didnt take anything more apart though. Pulled and twisted all the tubes I could find or get a grip on. I think tomarrow im going to remove the airbox so I can check it over and also get my head in lower inside. The sad thing is this running air sound is loud enough to drown out the K04 spooling, I can hear it but dwarfed by this air noise.

Thanks for the suggestions all and please give more if you have them.

Quick Reply: Loss of power, plenty of boost