Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Los Angeles Indie Mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 08:02 AM
1st Gear
Default Los Angeles Indie Mechanic

I don't know if forum rules (i did read them) are against me posting my praises for a particular independent shop but here it goes; if this isn't ok then mods please remove and reprimand.

prepare for a very long story and if you do make it through it then good job.

As some of you know i had a coil pack issue over the new years weekend. I purchased them over at Downtown Audi (L.A.) but they couldn't install and I thought i could do it myself since many of the thread i started told me it was easy and another forum superstar sent me the directions complete with pictures but for a 1.8 and i have a 3.0. It wasn't till after i saw the pictures did i realize that the location of the coil packs are a bit different (on the side of the engine) and more difficult to get to and disconnect the hard plastic wire cover as well as disconnecting the plastic harness to the coil pack and the fact that they were under hoses and the coolant reservoir... Anyway, im whining so ill stop. Story is is that i just couldn't do it.

Rewind 4 months ago when i was over at Rusnak getting some hoses replaced at their recommendation when i went in there to get my catalytic convertor changed because my CEL was on and after getting it checked over at another dealer (different cars not audi's) they told me it was a catalytic convertor problem... Ok, so after paying $400 and some for all the hoses to be replaced. Needless to say 3 days after i had that repaired the CEL goes back on i bring it back in and its the catalytic this time (LIKE IT WAS THE 1st TIME) but i guess my hoses needed me to change at some point so i wasn't that sad about it; just frustrated with having to going back and forth from the dealer for over week and the price at this point. When i got back to pick up my car a couple of the sales guys were out having smoke brakes with their blue tooth head sets on... yeah, i know. Anyway, I got to talking to them as well as the head mechanic again, we rapped when i picked up my car the 1st time.. totally stand up, an amazing mechanic and really cool guy that didn't mind talking to me for a super long time about my car and basically educating me on my car etc..

While i was talking to one of the sales reps while the mechanic grabbed tools to fix some minor thing on my car like one of the lowers having a screw missing and something in the trunk that i had mentioned but wanted to do it just because he was that cool, by the way; it was passed 8:30 pm and he mechanic was still working because he loves his job and loves working on audis. Anyway, one of the sales reps learned of my bill for getting my hoses replaced and was blown away by it and gave me the card of an independent Audi mechanic which i guess most of the sales people take their cars to instead of their own work. Not because of the house mechanic but because the prices are so high, even for them and the indie mechanic is "super knowledgeable, very cool, a great guy, and knows so much about Audis" as well. The place is called Euro Tech and it is in Culver City.

Okay, so the other day my coil pack blows (it was friday night) i called Rusnak they were closed and wouldn't be able to see me till thursday because of the super lame rose Parade. Downtown was open but couldn't do the 'repair' till Thursday. Radical. So, i called Euro Tech and spoke to the owner, Jose, and he could see me Tuesday morning. I get over there this morning and after talking to Jose about my car and his car and the European RS4 the guy, pops my hood, plugs in the laptop (my very 1st vag com experience, STOKED) grabs the coil pack i bought from ANOTHER VENDOR replaces it, teaches me about coil packs, what they do etc., He fixed the coil pack in the back; the hard one to get to under the coolant reservoir, topped off my coolant (a tad low), then just hangs out and talks to me about my car, the new rs6 avant, and the euro rs4 in for servicing then tells me i don't owe him anything for the fix. Needless to say, i love EURO TECH and not because of a free coil pack change, it was Jose's vibe and willingness to answer any dumb noob questions i had as well as just being a really nice guy and his vast knowledge of all that is Audi. Has anyone else had their car worked on by them?

Okay, so that is it, my novel of breaking a part in my car, the purchase of the part, and the meeting of another yoda. PandaExpress is also very yoda like. Some dudes just know these cars and are always willing to help no matter what the situation.

Thanks for reading,
pandas