Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for some Straight Answers

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 01:48 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Looking for some Straight Answers

As for what chip and whether or not you should mod..those decisions really come down to you. Both APR and GIAC seem to have very strong followings.

The chip is designed to be self installed. Usually you ship your ECU to them, they flash it and ship it back. So there is some down time for your car involved. If this is just not an option..you meantioned you have an APR dealer close..it might be worth just heading over there..I hear it takes like 3 minutes for them to flash your ECU. There is something to be said about having a tuner near by...if something goes wrong you've got the tuner right there to help you out instead of increasing your cars down time by shipping here and there, diagnosing the problem, telephone time..etc..

If you are thinking of upgrading to K04 turbo in the future..I'd probably go with GIAC. I hear they will reflash your ECU for free if you upgrade your turbo. Best bet is to call them to check on this for sure.

Btw, everything I've stated above I've learned from previous threads on this forum. (hint)

Old 08-30-2004, 02:01 AM
2nd Gear

Well put, and subtle Transverse. I've got a TAP chip myself. Not as well reviewed here, but alas, I got my car chipped before I found this site. Live and learn. I have been very satisfied with my chip and they did the upgrade for the K04 at no charge. Then again, I don't have anything to comare it to. It sure would be interesting to drive a car with one chip, swap it out for another chip and drove the same course again.

Old 08-30-2004, 03:07 AM
4th Gear

I have the apr chip and love it. When i first got it was a little rough acelerating(car was still learning),like when i would punch it, it would be a little sluggish but it would explode at a certain point. I have the flipswitch so I turned it off and on and it seemed to be alot smoother after i did. It pulls hard and strong throughtout the whole powerband now. And the turbo is alot louder now too. I love that.

BTW= does anyone know if apr have out the new software for the ko4 yet to have mine reflashed when i do?

Old 08-30-2004, 12:54 PM

Most of the postings deal with the K04, but i havn't heard much about the E05 ...

http://www.greedspeed.com/products/p...B6%201.8t&cat=

http://www.greedspeed.com/products/p...B6%201.8t&cat=

What's your take on that?

Old 08-30-2004, 02:01 PM
1st Gear

I find it interesting that so many people speak poorly of the K&N FIPK product line. I for one have always installed one on each car that I have owned. On my Durango R/T it made a remarkable difference in both power and fuel consumption. My 535i also benefitted from the unit. Stock units are designed more from a noise reduction standpoint than air throughput. As for oil leakage, I have never seen that problem.

I once took a stock BMW (who everyone told me was very effecient) attached it to a flow meter and a shop-vac just to compare it to a BAV Auto K&N set-up. The BAV auto unit flowed 37% more air and the filter was clean. No dust or oil at all. I know that this is pretty low tech, but it proved a point....

Old 08-31-2004, 11:10 AM

Suuuuup! I finally took delivery of my A4, and i'm definately happy with it. The engine is a bit sluggish at first, but once you get used to the powerband and the gears, it's definately got pep! Regardless, that's not the reason i chose the A4... it's all about potential!!!

I just had a quick question about the lighting package... i have an '05 and the dealer mentioned that the '05's have Bi-Xenon headlights... the thing is that my bright lights look regular. Prior to this i had an '03 e46M3 (that i totaled ) and that car had xenon high beams and low beams... the audi's high beams look like the regular ones (which my friend has on his '03). It was my understanding that this was going to be a change from '04 to '05... I asked the dealer to check another '05 that had the lighting package, and it was the same deal. What's up with Bi-Xenon?

Also, if someone could please shed light on the turbo question above (E05 vs. K04). Thanks!!

Old 09-01-2004, 05:10 PM

E-05 and the KO4 are the same turbo only te e-05 has ceramic ball berrings for quicker spool up.

Old 09-02-2004, 01:34 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Marcus

I find it interesting that so many people speak poorly of the K&N FIPK product line. I for one have always installed one on each car that I have owned. On my Durango R/T it made a remarkable difference in both power and fuel consumption. My 535i also benefitted from the unit. Stock units are designed more from a noise reduction standpoint than air throughput. As for oil leakage, I have never seen that problem.

I once took a stock BMW (who everyone told me was very effecient) attached it to a flow meter and a shop-vac just to compare it to a BAV Auto K&N set-up. The BAV auto unit flowed 37% more air and the filter was clean. No dust or oil at all. I know that this is pretty low tech, but it proved a point....
The problem with the oil is in no real way K&Ns fault its human error your maf will probly live a long happy life if you dont over oil your filter upon recharging.

Old 09-02-2004, 10:49 AM
1st Gear

Chriz, you're right. I've always had great results from changing out the intake, and as long as you do things according to the book, there won't be problems. Just remember to heat shield the unit for best results.

Old 09-02-2004, 10:58 AM
3rd Gear

Ive got the HKS intake kit the heat sheild that comes with that kit is laughibly ineffective I havnt gotten around to fabricating my own yet though.

Quick Reply: Looking for some Straight Answers