Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for some Straight Answers

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 12:30 AM
Default Looking for some Straight Answers

Hi All, I'm new to the A4 world, and purchasing an '04 1.8t Quattro 6MT in the very near future. I've got a few q's that i've been thinking about regarding mods:

1) What are the differences between the different turbo setups? (one is like longitudinal, the other is transverse... or something like that)
2) How long do I wait before I upgrade? I've got itchy fingers and the stock 1.8 is severely underpowered, what's an ideal break-in period? I realize that you'd want to drive it for a while in order to ensure that you didn't get stuck with a lemon by freak accident
3) What is the difference between K04, and E05?
4) Do the different hp ratings that i read about for the 1.8 have to do with european models vs. us?
5) I've read on some boards that the intake is a waste of $$, and in some cases may be damaging (something to do with oil)... is that true?
6) As far as mods go, is there a particular order that is ideal to do the mods in to ensure that no damage is incurred as a result of undue strain on the engine... i.e. does the exhaust have to be first, followed by the turbo and then the chip, etc? or does it not matter? my sense is that it probably does not make much of a difference.
7) Are there are preferred more reputable turbo and chip manufacturers?

I also have a few other q's, but i'll research them a little more and see what i can dig up. That said, I know that this post is certainly one of the more overwhelming ones (due to the breadth of info i'm requesting) but any light you could shed would be greatly appreciated. I appreciate your time....Thanks again!!

Old 08-27-2004, 01:16 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Looking for some Straight Answers

Hey bizzle, welcome to the forums. Damn, that's a lot to cover. Here goes.
1. It refers to the orientation of the engine. You'll have to specify which setup you have when you order the upgrade turbo.
2. This one is kind of up to you. You should drive the car for a while with out beating on it too hard to break things in, but the bigger question for a new Audi owner is warranty. The minute you modify that car in any way a dealer can see, your warranty is gone. Can't hide the turbo or the exhaust, but there are ways to chip a car without voiding the warranty. Just buy a second ECU, chip it and swap it out before you take it in for service.
3. Got me. I've got a K04 myself.
4. Where are you reading these? Everyone estimates horsepower differently. Is it wheel hp verses flywheel hp? Are you talking stock or modified?
5. Sounds good, don't think it has much value other than that for the 1.8t.
6. Sort of. I'd do the chip first and the turbo and the exhaust at the same time, if not exhaust first.
7. Yes. Check the archives.

HTH

Old 08-27-2004, 04:31 AM
1st Gear

giac chip i might be getting one... i wanna boost from 170 to 200... i think it will make it.. but some places i hear it boosts it from 170-230hp heh... either way i wont hurt.

Old 08-27-2004, 07:35 AM
2nd Gear

5) Could you mean the K&N air filter?

If so, many people say many different things about them, so its hard to make a well informed decision. I've read of a few people damaging their MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor due to oil from the K&N filter getting splashed on it. This can be an expensive replacement. However, there are many people who run K&N filters that don't have any problems. Some believe the problems occur after cleaning the filter..too much oil gets put onto the filter and it sprays onto the MAF...all in all it doesn't really sound like they do a whole lot to begin with. Only difference is that they last longer because they are reusable.

If not, use the cool beat stick and smack some **** around! [sm=icon_beat.gif]

btw, Welcome to the forum!

Old 08-27-2004, 12:02 PM

Thanks so much for the valuble responses (goose, idr0p, transverse)!! A few follow up thoughts:

1) Is there really a point to having an air filter when you've got forced induction from the turbo?
2) You mentioned K&N, and I am sure that's the air filter I was reading about. Does that mean that the problem you mentioned is only specific to K&N and other air filter manuf's would be fine? This dosn't matter if Question #1 is true.
3) Is it a valid assumption that only one of the setup's are compatible with the new A4's? If so, which one is designed specifically for the new A4's the transverse one or the longitudinal one?

Again, your frank thougths are appreciated!!

Old 08-27-2004, 04:51 PM
2nd Gear

1) Ummm...I'm guessing you need to filter the air that the turbo uses for forced induction...(someone help me here I'm completely guessing)

2) I would say you're gonna have the same issues with any aftermarket air filter that you need to oil after cleaning. I'm sorry if I scared you away from the K&N. That was not my intent. As I said, many run them just fine. I would just advise you to be cautious after cleaning the filter to oil it appropriatly. There is a thread here that talks about this filter...do a search.

3) My guess is that's why they made 2 different versions. One specific for the transversely mounted engine and the other for the longitudinally mounted one. The 2005 A4 1.8T engine is longitudinally mounted. This makes sense to me but I'd definitely talk with a representative before buying if you're unsure...

http://research.cars.com/go/crp/summ...005&modelid=21

Old 08-28-2004, 12:01 AM
2nd Gear

bizzle,

1. Absolutely, you want to make sure you aren't allowing any foreign objects like leaves or other road debris into your intake. Whether or not the K&N filter provides performance gains beyond it's re-usability is what is debatable.

2. It's specific to all filters that require you to apply oil to the filter medium.

3. Take the black plastic cover off of your engine and look at the drivers side corner closest to the front bumper. There is a three letter code stamped on the valve cover. That'll give the company from which you buy the turbo all the info they need.

Hope this helps. When are you planning on getting your A4?

Old 08-28-2004, 10:01 PM

Thanks again! I'm taking delivery of it on Tues (8/31) -- they had to get it from another dealer. It's dolphin grey, and the only options i missed out on (due to no availability) was the audio pkg and cold weather pkg. I'm super excited and I can't wait for tues to roll around.

WRT to the air filter question, you were spot on when you said
Whether or not the K&N filter provides performance gains beyond it's re-usability
, and that was what I was concerned with.

The only thing I have to think loooong and hard about now is how long do I want to wait before I mod it (and void the warranty!!) If anyone has faced a similar decision, let me know what your thought process was (of if i should pick heads over tails..) That said, time to search for the endless possibilities!

Old 08-28-2004, 10:29 PM
4th Gear

You can chip it and have a different ECU for when you take it in, thats a good way not to void your warrenty right off the bat.

Old 08-28-2004, 10:52 PM

Speaking of chips, i've read the archives and still havn't found a definitive answer to selecting between APR and GIAC. Who comes out with more frequent upgrades
Have any users had significant probs with one over the other?
I did read that GIAC is more compatible with other mods (such as if i choose to mess with the turbo, which i do plan on doing) is this the case?

I'm in ATL, apr is closer...

Finally, can i do the chip install myself or does it require tuning?

Quick Reply: Looking for some Straight Answers