Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little DIY for the weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 06:26 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: A little DIY for the weekend...

Seeing the great job you did on the wheels why don't you try a DIY on the lowers? Painting plastic is a lot different from painting metal (ie. adhesion promoters, flex agent in clearcoat, etc...). Here is a great link that has all the information you need to paint plastic.
http://www.performancecoatings.dupon...!visitorAction
I did mine a few weeks ago and got some paint from a NAPA store that matched the exact car color using the factory paint code. Since your friend had a garage, you can set up a paint booth using hooks and tarps (check out the one I made in my garage).

I painted my lowers using a paint gun I got off eBay. Here are a few pics of the process and the final results (which aren't too bad considering it's my first attempt ever at any kind of body work).

Old 05-14-2007, 08:11 AM
1st Gear

Hot damn, that makeshift paint booth is the ****! I had actually considered doing them DIY, but I wasn't too sure about paint matching and everything. Seeing your results though gives me a definite boost of confidence. Your final product looks great. Have you considered painting the S4 door things (can't think of the correct term, it's 5 am and I haven't slept in a while)?? I'll bet that'd really finish off the look. Just a thought though.

Either way, I'm definitely digging the tarp-booth. How'd that Ebay sprayer end up working out for you, and how much did you spend on it?

Old 05-14-2007, 08:19 AM
1st Gear

This is the exact spray gun I bought:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Titan...spagenameZWDVW
I think it worked great (then again, I have no base for comparison, it's the first time I do something like that). I used the 1.4mm tip gun for everything. I painted the S4 doorblades black (they come in the same grey as the lowers) because I wanted a bit of contrast to the body color.
Actually, I'm repainting all the black trims this weekend (DuPont Jet Black Basecoat). All the black you see here is PlastiDip. It looks awesome but it ends up chipping and is very fragile. I'll redo everything black using primer/adhesion promoter, catalyzed basecoat, and catalyzed clearcoat with flex additive. The paint booth is going back up on Friday!!!

Old 05-14-2007, 08:23 AM
1st Gear

Sounds like quite the painting project bro. Good luck and let me know how it turns out....probably end up being even more motivation for me.

And thanks for the info on the sprayer, I may have to pick one of those up here soon.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:48 AM
1st Gear

nice job on the rims and fogs, but honestly IMO i don't really like yellow fogs. i think it looks a bit odd (cool while turned on, but not good looking while off). i guess maybe it just conflicts with the green exterior of your car.

LampyB.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:35 PM

ORIGINAL: skrammoof
I realize it looks like it's lifted or something...
Huh? Take a look at my wheel gap...

I need suspension really bad [&:]