Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limp Mode?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 12:15 PM
1st Gear
Default Limp Mode?

What is limp mode, and how do I tell if I'm in it?

My car has become noticeably laggier (when I step on the pedal, the bitch doesn't move like she used to) over the past month or two, and I can't figure out why. Not lights are on, no grinding or noises are occuring, she seems to be healthy except for the fact that she's lagging.

Basically, it feels like I'm driving with 100% AC, but I never put my AC on.

Also, when I turn on my car, my tripometer reads "in 1".. but I can't tell, because it actually looks like this " |n |", so I can't tell what are I's, 1's, l's, etc... what does this mean? I always figured it meant 'in first gear' because as soon as I hit the road it disappears.

Thanks so much, AF!!

Old 08-24-2006, 12:43 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Limp Mode?

the tripometer means you are due for service I think you can have the code cleared and it wont come back.

the lag you speak of may be due to your box mod and the hot temps outside (heat soak). limp mode should reset itself everytime you shut the car off. get the codes read at autozone then post em up. try this: unhook battery. make sure you have radio code. hook back up 20-30 minutes later and to a throttle body alignment (can be found in search). then turn the car on and see if there's any difference.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:44 PM
Site Moderator

IN 1 = service reminder. You need to do a recode with the VAG to remove that.

Karakot and I had a decent discussion of Limp Mode a while back.
https://www.audiforums.com/m_211184/mpage_2/key_/tm.htm

Old 08-24-2006, 12:45 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the advise!

I know the BARE basics of codes, I know you need a tool to read them and that it's for diagnosis. Will autozone let me use it for free? Will they tell me what the codes mean?

I will look up the throttle body alignment right now, as well.

Thanks again, smokeu. Anyone else have some input?

Old 08-24-2006, 12:51 PM
3rd Gear

yup autozone does it free and are usually really cool about it.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:54 PM
1st Gear

I am going to bring my Audi for Autozone after work (in about 5 hours) and I'll report back later tonight as to what they tell me.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:55 PM
1st Gear

Just so I know what I'm talking about when I go to Autozone, what is this tool going to tell me?

Is it going to tell me about sensors only? Will it tell me about more severe problems (if I have any)? How does it connect to your car?

Any info regarding this tool and what it does would be helpful, I'm going to run a search on it right now.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:58 PM
3rd Gear

it plugs into OBD-II port right near your left knee when in driver seat. iit will tell you codes and clear them then you bring them hear and the VAG ppl will tell you what they mean. remember to write them down! lol. cause odds are they will come back.

LOOK

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/index.php

Old 08-24-2006, 01:09 PM
1st Gear

lol there's no link for Audi on that page you posted.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:13 PM
Site Moderator

Actually - simply clearing fault codes will not reset the Service Reminder. You need to do a recode.

Very simple to do, but its a different function of the VAG and I don't think the generics can do that recode. I could be wrong - since I have a VAG and have never had any AutoZone employee come near my car.

Quick Reply: Limp Mode?