Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaky oil filter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 01:36 AM
1st Gear
Default Leaky oil filter?

Before you think i can't change my oil, because that's what i thought, i'm a mechanic and know it's not through lack of knowledge or ability. My oil filter is leaking, badly. While talking to some other mechanics i work with they said something about the inabilty of oil filters to create a proper seal on some audi oil coolers. Has anyone else had this problem? I currently am using a Mobile 1 oil filter, the big one. Is it the oil filter? or do i need to get a new oil cooler? Thanks guys.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:32 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Leaky oil filter?

Mobil 1 doesnt make "the big" updated filter. It may be big, but the updated one is pretty much huge. The filter you need is only carried at the dealer or online Audi vendors like ecstuning that sells the mahle or mhann (sp?) filters. I have never had a problem with the oil filters i get from the dealer.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:43 AM
1st Gear

Well since everything else on my car is Bosch, I use a Bosch oil filter and I have had no problems... maybe just a faulty filter? The mahle is a good filter as well.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:45 PM

1st confirm exactly where its leaking from, wipe everything down and find the lead.. see if its between the oil filter to car...

did you run oil around the o-ring on the filter?

Old 09-06-2006, 01:18 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: captcaos2002

Well since everything else on my car is Bosch, I use a Bosch oil filter and I have had no problems... maybe just a faulty filter? The mahle is a good filter as well.
There has been a technical service bulliten by Audi that says to use the updated larger (giant) oil filter to reduce sludging. You deffinately dont want to use anything but that.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:17 PM

thats true... but in all reality if you are using a good synthetic you dont "need" the huge filter, unless you are running more HP.

i run amsoil.. best .. stuff.. on.. planet... LOL

may last filter was a standard BOSCH, but my new one will be a Mayle/Mann....

Old 09-06-2006, 03:02 PM
2nd Gear

I had a similar problem before. It was because the rubber gasket on the old filter got stuck on the mating surface of the oil cooler when i changed my oil...which means there were two gaskets between the oil cooler and filter, one from the old filter and the one attached to the new filter. It leaked real bad. I was scared when I saw how much oil was under my car. Boy was I relieved when I saw what the problem was.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:22 PM

since your a mechanic I don't need to go into detail then, did you purge the filter with oil?? did you smear oil on both surfaces before putting the filter on?? did you over tighten the filter?? are the O ring seal the right size for your cooler???
ORIGINAL: Gutterpelican

Before you think i can't change my oil, because that's what i thought, i'm a mechanic and know it's not through lack of knowledge or ability. My oil filter is leaking, badly. While talking to some other mechanics i work with they said something about the inabilty of oil filters to create a proper seal on some audi oil coolers. Has anyone else had this problem? I currently am using a Mobile 1 oil filter, the big one. Is it the oil filter? or do i need to get a new oil cooler? Thanks guys.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:31 PM
1st Gear

I managed to snag a wire once between the gasket. Needless to say it sprayed oil all over the GD place. Always fun when you find out its something easy to fix though.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:26 AM
4th Gear

Stuck on gasket from the old filter is the usual cause of this.
I haven't had any problem with oil leaking from the filter mating surface. I have plenty of other leaks though.

Quick Reply: Leaky oil filter?