Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ladies and Gentlemen... I've got a CEL

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 01:14 AM
1st Gear
Default Ladies and Gentlemen... I've got a CEL

here's the story, maybe you guys can help me figure out whats wrong.

Last friday I flew out to Colorado to visit some family. Before I leave, my car (1998 A4 1.8T FWD) was driving perfectly with no signs of trouble. When I go to start my car Monday morning after coming home, it starts, revs a little higher than usual, and then drops to around 500 RPMs for a second, and then dies. After a couple of tries I manage to get it to start again, so I took it around the neighborhood to make sure it was driving alright, and it was perfectly fine. Fast foward to Thursday of that week, I put gas in the car (Chevron 93 oct), and right after I put the gas in, it does the same thing. Once again I get it started and its driving perfectly fine. Friday, it starts fine, but after a little around town driving it starts idling low, just for a second, and then goes back to normal. In additon, the car starts jerking slightly when driving it at low RPMs (like below 3000).

So I take it to my mechanic, and they find nothing wrong, but they do replace the transmission fluids and so some other minor matinence.

When I got it back today, it drove fine for a little bit, but then did the same sort of wierding out that it did earlier. After a little more driving, I notice that when I try to accelerate, the engine had an extremely hard time getting over 3500 RPMs or so. It felt like it had no grip. Finally, as I pull into my driveway, the car dies and I get the CEL.

Thats the story... now any ideas on what might be going on?

Old 10-04-2006, 01:26 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Ladies and Gentlemen... I've got a CEL

Could be a bad MAF or fuel delivery problem. Youll have to get it scanned or vag'd to get the fault code(s). Get scanned asap and dont drive it if the CEL is blinking.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:47 AM
1st Gear

We'll see... its going back to the shop first thing tomorrow.

oh, and my CEL is solid, is there a difference between that and a blinking one?

Old 10-04-2006, 02:13 AM
Site Moderator

ya a blinking one means dont drive or youll hurt something
a solid one means something less severe is wrong and to get it checked asap.

If you take it to autozone they will scan it for free. Make sure to write down whatever codes are stored.