Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Labree HFC Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 02:26 PM
1st Gear
Default Labree HFC Question

My Cat recently blew off my turbo at the turbo manifold and I just ordered a Labree HFC to replace the sorry Cats we get stock. They said it will be about 2 weeks, so thats 2 weeks I dont have my car...(bummer)...

Does anyone have experience with them? I've seen a lot of posts about them, but they all seemed pretty old and wanted some fresh input.

Also, does anyone know if these HFC's have the plugs for our O2 sensors? If not, what did you all do about your O2 sensors?

I know this is only a short term fix, but what are your thoughts on temporarily welding the OEM cat onto the turbo manifold so I can at least drive around, if only slowly?? A mechanic offered this as a temp. solution, but I'm skeptical...

Thanks
JB

--Current--
99.5 A4 1.8T Q-Tip
Borla Cat-Back
H&R Race Springs
Bilstein Grooved

--Upcoming--
Bailey DV
GIAC
Tint

Old 11-20-2006, 03:06 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Labree HFC Question

well if you need you car, why not take your old cat down to a muffler shop, get them to cut the flanges off of it and make up a pipe to put in there temporarily (test pipe)

Old 11-20-2006, 04:22 PM

well if you need you car, why not take your old cat down to a muffler shop, get them to cut the flanges off of it and make up a pipe to put in there temporarily (test pipe)
Because federal EPA regulations clearly state that it is ILLEGAL in any state for a shop to remove a catalytic converter. It is a huge fine, and could lead to the shut-down of a business.

Now, if they were to make a bolt-in test-pipe for you, for "off-road use only", and give it to you, without installing it on your car, whatever you do after you leave the shop is your business and responsibility. This saturday I am having the shop make mine "for off-road use only", and have them leave the stock cats on it, so when I get home, I can put the test pipes on. Then comes time to trick the O2 sensor....

Old 11-20-2006, 05:10 PM
4th Gear

thats what i was getting at...i was assuming it was already off the car

Old 11-20-2006, 05:30 PM
1st Gear

I still have the cat attached (at least to my borla), as of now. Im trying to figure out what to do with that d@mn thing.

Is it really that common to have these cat's go bad with a new exhaust on it?

I guess my options are: test pipe or rental car / bumming rides until the HFC gets in...

Thanks for the input.

Oh, and if I do this myself, it will cost maybe ~$300. The dealer said it would be ~1350 if they did it. AHA..crazy b@stards...

Old 11-20-2006, 06:14 PM

thats what i was getting at...i was assuming it was already off the car
Gotcha, My bad.... I was assuming it was still on the car, obviously.