Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

killing DRL's!? (daytime running lights)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 02:34 PM
5th Gear
Default killing DRL's!? (daytime running lights)

OK... I know the Canadian cars are different... but when my car is on, and I havent touched the light switch... my fogs are on, and the orange signal lights are on (they just flash brighter, when I signal).

This is all because of stupid canadian DRL's or daytime running lights.

Anybody know how I can kill them? The fogs don't bother me so much... though I'd like them gone too, during the day... but the orange, I hate it. I went through the trouble of clearing my corners, and painting the bulbs...but as soon as the car is on, BAM, orange again.

As soon as it is slightly overcast out, I turn my headlights on anyways... so I don't need DRL's, as I know when I need my headlights on.

Old 09-03-2005, 05:36 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: killing DRL's!? (daytime running lights)

you can try this....i don't know if it will help with the corner lights, but it might give you some ideas...

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext10.shtml

Old 09-03-2005, 05:47 PM
5th Gear

Yeah, I've read that before... perhaps it gives me enough info to go in there and do some craziness. Who knows though... disabling DRL's shouldnt be a huge deal. I think my buddy just did it in his Ford Taurus SHO... I should ask him if he can do my car. I hate having lights on, when no lights are necessary.

Old 09-03-2005, 06:19 PM

damn bent u beat me too it i was gonna post that.

Old 09-11-2005, 07:18 PM
1st Gear

hey headshok.....i was just curious if you actually made some headway on this subject. i'm interested in doing the same thing

Old 06-05-2007, 05:00 PM
1st Gear

Sorry for bringing up such an old post, but I'd like to see if there are any solutions for us Canadians on the matter. It is basically pointless to clear out the corners if the amber parking light bulbs will be on all the time..

So my question is, is it possible to kill the parking lights usingVAG, but retain the fog lights to meet the Canadian DRL requirements? It seems pointless having both sets of lights activated at all times and the parking lights are ugly. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-05-2007, 05:00 PM
1st Gear

edited double post.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:11 PM

My understanding is that you can do it on VAG. If you change it to an American model, then the DRL will go away. Those of us here in the US don't have DRL's cause our cars are programmed as such (US model). But if you change (in VAG) a US car to Canadian, then you will have DRL's.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:46 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

One of the reasons I did the front foglight mod was so I could use them as drl's. When you do as much driving as I do, you see how useful they become as a safety feature. Especially near sunrise and sunset, when cars are becoming hard to see but its far too light out to have your headlights on.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:07 AM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: cyberlogicx

One of the reasons I did the front foglight mod was so I could use them as drl's. When you do as much driving as I do, you see how useful they become as a safety feature. Especially near sunrise and sunset, when cars are becoming hard to see but its far too light out to have your headlights on.
I get that... but you're not using them on the brightest of sunny days, are you?
Cause we have to! All the bloody time!

Quick Reply: killing DRL's!? (daytime running lights)