Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key scratch repair kit finally arrived!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 10:48 PM
4th Gear
Default Key scratch repair kit finally arrived!

Finally came in the mail today from PaintScratch.com... Brilliant Black basecoat touch-up pen, Clearcoat w/ applicator, rubbing compound, and grease/wax remover. I bought the car with a really awful key scratch all the way down the passenger side (both doors, both fenders). Got a quote from an upholstery/paint repair shop in town, about $715 to paint the whole side, so I figure I'll wait to do that until I can afford to do the entire car - the rest of it could use a refresher as well. I figure in the meantime while I'm broke, this little $35 touch-up kit will at least let me feel less self-concious about it!

I'll post before/after pics over the next couple of days.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:55 PM
Default RE: Key scratch repair kit finally arrived!

People that key cars disgust me. I had that happen to my last A4.[:@]

Old 07-26-2007, 12:35 AM
1st Gear

People keying my A4 that i just got is one of my worries.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:53 AM
4th Gear

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...t/100_0104.jpg

That's a shot from right after I bought it back in February, you can kind of see the scratch. There's two << marks on the rear fender, then a line all the way across both doors and the front fender.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:04 AM
4th Gear

I worked a little bit on the rear fender marks tonight, got one layer of basecoat on the <<'s. I think I'll put a couple more layers on there before I do the clearcoat touch up; the scratches go all the way through to the metal. I want to make it at least not very obvious for now, until I get around to getting the whole thing done proper.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:24 AM
2nd Gear

what kit did you buy i need to do a little touch up also.
but i want to see how yours come out first

Old 07-26-2007, 03:29 AM
4th Gear

I ordered it from PaintScratch.com - they have specific kits, but I just put together my own combination of stuff. I got a 1/2oz. paint pen filled with LY9B/A2 Brilliant Black (custom mixed, send them your VIN and paint code from the spare wheel well), and a 1oz. bottle of clearcoat, a 2oz. bottle of grease/wax remover, and a 2oz. bottle of rubbing compound. Cost around $35 or so. I don't expect it to make the car look mint, but like I said I'm just aiming to make the scratch less apparent for now. It'd probably be pretty effective for less angry scratches though, lol.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:02 AM
2nd Gear

I've had my car for a week and already got 2 different key scratches, at 2 different times, parked in 2 different places. Neither one's outrageous but pisses me off. I'm a nice guy!

Old 07-26-2007, 04:17 AM
1st Gear

I had a deep key mark on my car and was actually able to fill it in with one of those paint pens, acetone and a credit card. I just filled in the scratch with thin coats about 20 mins apart until it was overfilled then got a microfiber cloth wet with some acetone and wraped it around the credit card and smoothed it out. It's really not even noticeable unless you know its there.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:44 AM
2nd Gear

Nice im lucky teh paint on my b6 is perfect anyway when i get a scratch i know where to look

Quick Reply: Key scratch repair kit finally arrived!