Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K04 swap progress report #1

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 11:13 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: K04 swap progress report #1

ORIGINAL: widgget

yeah, first time took me 10 hours total over the course of a weekend, which included "making" a few tools which make the process easer (like a hex key i cut and fit into a socket then attached to a long flexible extension to reach the BRACKET!!). yes the bracket does suck. I've pulled the turbo twice since the original install and can do it in about 4 hours easily now, so yes, 4 hours with experience for a swap.

sorry for the not so great luck, take your time and plan your next couple moves before you start connecting everything back up, it'll save you some time.

good luck bro!
Haha, yeah next time I'll be able to do it in about 1/4 the time it's going to take me this time.

Either tonight or tomorrow I will be able to finish it, I hope. If not, I have all weekend (now that I'm not going to Beaver Run for the WERA road race (motorcycle), my tires are shot and I can't afford new ones right now... damn you college. and turbo. and food.)

Old 08-31-2007, 08:15 PM
1st Gear

Finished!

Well, I finished the install.

I took the manifold off and tightened the coolant feed banjo bolt on the back of the turbo, then put the manifold back on and put the bolts on and tightened as before. I needed a way to get a little oil in the turbo, so I destroyed a mechanical pencil and used the body as a straw. Stuck it in the oil container, put my finger on it, and then let it go over the open oil feed fitting on the turbo a few times. Hooked up all the other hoses to where they should be, put the airbox in, filled it with oil and coolant, and began praying, haha.

I pulled out the fuel pump fuse from the drivers side fusepanel (i think it's the only one...), cranked it for about 5 seconds 5 times, with 10 second breaks in between. I put the fuse in, and I was so nervous... started it up.

It fired up fine, and after a few seconds the oil pressure light started flashing, scared the hell out of me. I shut it off out of reflex, dunno if I had to or not. I went and checked the oil, it was on the dipstick but pretty low. I put another 1/3 or so quart in, and started it back up again. This time the oil pressure light came on again, but I figure it was because there was air in the lines or something. I shut it off after about a minute. It started smoking by that point, and the general area around the turbo had a (not super heavy, but noticable) smoke coming up. I let it sit and smoke for a bit, and then got back in and fired it up again.

This time the oil pressure light didnt come on, which was awesome. I let it idle for about 5 minutes, watching alternately the lights and the car for leaks and odd noises. Nothing came, so I shut it off, got the tools out of the way, closed the hood, and drove it to the end of the driveway. (my driveway is 800 feet long). I checked the fluids again... the coolant was down a bit, but not excessively. I drove to the corner and down the street, got up to speed (60mph), no odd sounds, nothing out of place, no lights.

On the way back down the last street I put my foot down a bit, and it boosted straight to 8ish psi (stock ecu in right now). Pulled pretty well for the second or two I had my foot on it, and I could hear the turbo. It's weird, not like a k03 sound at all. It's more whiny, maybe not more noticable, but just a different pitch. I still have the stock airbox and ducts, and stock tune.

The ol' butt dyno says it's faster than stock, but probably not as fast as the chipped k03. I can't wait to feel the chipped k04, and then I can't wait for pc16.

Some pics...

My makeshift oil injection straw

Mmmmm... G12 coolant. What a weird color.

And that's it! Drove it half an hour to school, everything checks out fine! I'm super happy I was able to pull it off myself. (with help from dad).

I'll let you know when I chip it, hopefully it'll be durn quick, at least faster than what it was

Old 08-31-2007, 08:38 PM

congrats bro, nice work.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:11 PM
2nd Gear

Looks real good. I am in complete envy right now!

I see the O2 sensor's wires hanging out there, do they need some sort of heat shielding or insulation on them? I thought stock had some sort of heatshielding. Maybe I'm just thinking crazy tonight..

Old 09-01-2007, 09:17 AM
1st Gear

I dunno about the heat shielding on the wires, I'm gonna at least wrap them with something to be safe. I don't like replacing o2 sensors. Day 2, everything's still happy

Old 09-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Site Moderator

Wait you say youre using the stock ecu. What about the 5 bar fpr and GIAC k04 file?? Then you say youre gunna go GIACpc16 (uses different fpr and injectors)? I dont get it.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:12 AM
1st Gear

It's complicated. I had a giac chipped ecu (socket type) that died (the ecu died, not the chip). So I bought a used unmodified ecu from the forums, which I'm using now... on tuesday I'm going to ship both ecu's out to tyrolsport to have them swap the pins from the dead ecu to the unmodified one for 100 bucks. I have the k04 file and 5bar here with me, so I'll run that.

I'm assuming shortly after that, I'm going to buy a pc16 file and injectors... once the thrill of a chipped k04 wears off.

make more sense?

Old 09-01-2007, 11:17 AM
Site Moderator

Got it.... I think.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:23 AM
1st Gear

I'm curious how much more power I'll get out of the k04... I'm hoping for a horsepower gain similiar-ish to the jump from stock k03 to chipped k03. Especially with pc16.... Maybe 200ish hp at the wheels, 210-215ft-lbs? I'm just guessing, I'm sure I'll be corrected.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:39 PM
I'm make believe

most fwd cars have 220whp and 240ftlbs so take of another ~8% of that and you should be just around what your thinking 205-210whp and 230ishTQ

Quick Reply: K04 swap progress report #1