Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K04 swap progress report #1

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 11:41 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: K04 swap progress report #1

yeah thanks, i feel bad touching it with my dirty hands.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:58 AM
Site Moderator

That valve cover gasket is looking pretty bad man [:'(]

Old 08-27-2007, 01:13 AM
Site Moderator

You might want to check for oil leaks from your valve cover since there seems to be a ton of caked oil on the wastegate acutator. Or at least tighten the valve cover nuts.

I hate that support bracket with a passion. 6 turbo swaps and it's still a complete pain. B6's have their AC pump on the drivers side so it's rediculously easy to get to.

Do not use any of the old hardware. None of it. That includes the studs from the manifold to the head. They've snapped on people before. Replace them. Use anti seize on all the nuts and bolts.

Use G12 coolant. It's about $25 from the dealer and needs to be mixed. Check for leaks while filling the coolant and oil.

Do not just start it up once everything is back together. That's an easy way to destroy the turbo. It needs to have oil and coolant in it before the hot exhaust hits it. The way I've done mine is to disconnect the injectors (just the electical plugs), the coil packs (again, just the electrical connections), and disonnect the ECU. Once all those are disconnected, crank it for 5 seconds with 10 seconds between cranks about 5 times. After cranking it 5 times give it about 5 min to cool off, then start again. Do each set of 5 cranks 3 times. You don't want to crank it too long or you'll burn out the starter.

Once you reconnect everything, start it up and look for leaks. There's going to be smoke from the turbo area. It's nothing to worry about. It's just grease and oil buring off. No biggy. Do no step on the gas for at least 10 min. Let it warm up by itself. once the coolant temp if in the middle of the gauge and there are no leaks, go for a test drive. Don't drive any further than you're willing to push it. Check for leaks.

Post up if you need any help with the install.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:09 AM

just to add on to what craig is saying, there's a really easy way to be sure your turbo is getting oil. after you've got everything installed and hooked up, disconnect the oil feed line from the turbo, and stick it in a large ziploc bag. then do what craig said, crank the motor. but make sure you've got someone watching the bag for when the oil arrives. at that point, connect the oil feed to the turbo, and crank it over a few more times. then proceed with the warmup. this isn't really any different than what has already been said, but it'll save you a bit of time and also gives you the peace of mind, you'll know for sure that your brand new turbo is indeed getting oil. more than one turbo has been cooked in the first 10 minutes of its life because the oil feed line was blocked with something. good luck.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:03 AM
2nd Gear

nice write up i can't wait to see the diy on the ebayintercooler

Old 08-27-2007, 09:04 AM
1st Gear

Thanks guys!

BaconBait - I plan to use new hardware. Is the dealer the best place to get it? Is it the only place to get it? Yeah, I'm going to check my valve cover, there's definately an inordinate amount of oil on the WG actuator. I noticed that there was some oil caked on places, and I got worried about it a few months ago, but I don't burn through any oil, at least not noticably, between changes... so I hope it's either a) fine or b) slow enough not to worry me.

I have some G12 coolant, planning to use it. I'm also obviously planning on doing the proper pre-oil procedure with the turbo. I'm headed home to work on it this afternoon, (screw work) so I'll update the progress as I go.

Thanks for the interest!

Old 08-27-2007, 11:18 AM
2nd Gear

Good luck man are you updting your software or running a MBC, plus what other goodies do u have for the ride.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:39 AM
1st Gear

I'm using giac's k04 software with 5bar fpr. No real other goodies other than the fmic, yet. Since I've bought it I've been spending all my money replacing the requisite parts that were failing. (these parts should be significantly more fun)

Old 08-27-2007, 12:40 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: daesharacor

I plan to use new hardware. Is the dealer the best place to get it? Is it the only place to get it? Yeah, I'm going to check my valve cover, there's definately an inordinate amount of oil on the WG actuator. I noticed that there was some oil caked on places, and I got worried about it a few months ago, but I don't burn through any oil, at least not noticably, between changes... so I hope it's either a) fine or b) slow enough not to worry me.

ESCtuning sells turbo install kits with all new hardware and gaskets. If you already have some peices, you can just order what you need indiviually along with a new valve cover gasket and cam tensioner gasket (together is $30 for the gaskets)

Old 08-27-2007, 01:19 PM

This is great info on the removal of the stock turbo. Personal stories are always nice. Every removal or installwill be done differently and you will always run into different problems. Reading other people installs always helped me on my installs. Great job man, Keep us posted on your k04 project.

Quick Reply: K04 swap progress report #1