Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K04/PC-16 Another Problem/Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 09:31 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: I AM GOING K04 FOR REAL THIS TIME!!!!

Not necessarily, if its your first time, could take a couple of days, especially if your back sucks.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:57 PM
4th Gear

UHHHH... WHAT A DAY!!!

So I have everything in the car. It was a PAIN to get the turbo-mani bolt (drivers side) to go in. I couldn't get the hole lined up. Then I couldn't get that stupid bracket bolt back on either. I spent well over an hour trying to get just those two bolts in. Once those went in everything went pretty smoothly, the bottom turbo-cat nut took forever to, but it's all put together.

SO now here comes the crappy part... yes REALLY crappy part.

After I got everything hooked up and whatnot, I checked all the bolts, and all the fittings and made sure everything was in place. It was so I went ahead and filled it up with fresh 0w40 oil and a new oil filter and then added coolant. I turned the car over w/the fuel pump fuse removed for 5 sec then waited 10 sec then did it again 4 more times. I got out, checked for leaks and there weren't any. So I decided to start it. I was really nervous to. I put the fuse back in and fired her up... and when I ment fire, I MENT FIRE!!! The area around the turbo just started smoking really bad and then boom, burst into flames. I quickly... lol, jk, anyways, I let the engine run for a bit and checked everything again. Now here is where the problems start. The hose for the coolant feed line was dripping a bit. Nothing bad so I figured it was just some water that had gotten on there. It was raining the whole day. But as it warmed up it started to get a little worse. Then it was smoking everywhere (pretty sure it was the PB blaster burning off. I used a bunch of it today.) I let it burn completely off and then checked the leak again. It was not doing anything so I closed it all up and decided to drive to the road (out of our apartment complex). I got in and put it in gear. All my gauges seemed fine. The water temp was just a tad warm but not much at all. I pulled out and got onto the little street going through our apartment complex and took it easy. I punched it a few times and it gave instant boost to about 5 PSI (I had the MBC turned all the way down). The sound this turbo makes is so much cooler sounding than my K03. I was happy... right until I checked my gauges again. Now my water temp gauge was way hot. I was about 2 bars past straight up. I pulled off the little road (I hadn't even made it out of the apartment complex yet) and shut off the engine and opened the hood. There was water coming out of the coolant feed line right where it connects to the turbo. It was coming out fast to. I was pissed! I let it cool off a sec and then went back to my apartment and cleaned up... I am to tired to try and fix that today.

My question is, would that small of a leak cause my water temps to go really high? I really don't want to have to tear everything apart again tomorrow. What all could cause that? Other than that everything else is fine.

Oh, and I don't really want to ever do this again... LOL

Josh

P.S. I will post pictures later. I want to eat something!

Old 09-22-2007, 11:23 PM
I'm make believe

The leak from the coolent to the turbo could come from not having, or having a bad washer. You most likey have some air in the coolent system, kind of like air in brake lines. That could explain the hot temps if you just drained and then added coolent. You could also be really low on coolent.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:27 PM
5th Gear

wow that sux man. u jsut bought coolant and put it in there, now u gotta drain it and put it back in.i would say AHHHHHH to that. well i hope it all works out for the better for u man. can't wait on those pix and hopefully a vid.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:27 PM
4th Gear

Yeah I figured the washer thing was what was causing the leak, as for the overheating I hope it's just air in the system and it works it's self out by sitting overnight. I am not low on coolant, the tank is full.

OH and I forgot to mention that my K03 housing is CRACKED!!! Yes CRACKED!!! There are 3 cracks on the inside of the exhaust compressor housing. I think that could have gotten really bad had it not been taken care of. I will get pictures later.

Josh

Old 09-22-2007, 11:30 PM
I'm make believe

you can run with the coolent cap open and that should help.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:05 AM
Site Moderator

Yeah a small leak can cause the engine to overheat, but most likely you have a little air in the system as cincyTT said and the engine "burped" as we like to call it and shot the temp on the gauge flying up.
Fix your leak and run the engine with the coolant cap off the expansion tank until the engine reaches operating temp, top it off then put the cap back on.
PS it takes a while to get all the air out of the coolant system, it will eventually purge itself out through the expansion tank in about 4-5 days of normal driving but you won't notice that air causing any problems on your temp gauge.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:17 AM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: auditech79

Yeah a small leak can cause the engine to overheat, but most likely you have a little air in the system as cincyTT said and the engine "burped" as we like to call it and shot the temp on the gauge flying up.
Fix your leak and run the engine with the coolant cap off the expansion tank until the engine reaches operating temp, top it off then put the cap back on.
PS it takes a while to get all the air out of the coolant system, it will eventually purge itself out through the expansion tank in about 4-5 days of normal driving but you won't notice that air causing any problems on your temp gauge.
What a dirty mouth

Old 09-23-2007, 12:20 AM
Site Moderator

^^^^You would notice

Old 09-23-2007, 12:26 AM
I'm make believe

Sadly i did... im so ashamed

Quick Reply: K04/PC-16 Another Problem/Question