Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed a Blow Off Valve

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 03:06 AM
1st Gear
Default Just installed a Blow Off Valve

so, i have been contemplating for the longest time...should i get a forge dv, or a regular old bov... for my B6 1.8t quattro w/APR +1

after about 2-3 weeks of debating i just realized i had a brand new Blitz Dual Drive blow off valve somewhere in my room. It is part of a turbo kit i was piecing together for my swapped 1986 corolla that's all decked out.

installing this BOV was a PITA! the blitz piston is huge in comparison to the OEM DV. and the hose that goes to the stock dv is about half the size required of the blitz bov. anyway, with the luck of orchard supply hardware and some brass fittings i got this all mocked up.

the original reason i decided to try installing the bov was the fact that i wanted to see if the factory DV was not holding all the boost pressure that my APR +1 is pushing through it. so far, it seems as though the stock dv was definately holding me back. my car now climbs to redline faster than it did with the factory dv. still fairly slow, but it does it a tad easier now.

definate negatives like you all have stated in previous posts. car dies out when you put the shifter into neutral after boosting. that is true...my solution, tomarrow i will try stiffening the bov spring a tad, and then using lemmiwinks to subtract 5% or 10% fuel on throttle decrease. i'm going to play around with it to see which works best. other than that fact, the car seems great. another tidbit is almost the majority of factory turboed vehicles have a preturbo metering system like our Audi does. Since those cars don't seem to have too much of an issue with installing a bov i figured why not! i'd give it a shot! and it turned out just fine.

pictures and video's to come.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:00 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: Just installed a Blow Off Valve

might wanna check ur cat soon if u have one

Old 11-01-2007, 01:38 PM

Ummm?...did I miss somethin?

I didn't know lemmiwinks could eliminate the need to keep our systems closed?

Im guessing you are running super rich....ummm....are you releasing pressure to da atmosphere?

I do not believe that playing with your fuel ratio will help at all in da long run...most people are fine running a BOV to da atmosphere for about 6 mos. then their cat is done for.....

well, If I was you I would recirculate as much if not all released pressure...

you will hear a similar effect from running the same piston DV in a closed loop system with a cone filter onda end of ur maf....

gl!

Old 11-01-2007, 02:23 PM

if you want to use a bov you should go with the forge 004, its worked really well for others on the forum.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:40 PM
2nd Gear

Its the same idea as the forge as far as i know. prt goes to atmosphere for noise and part gts recirculated.

and how would changing the A/F ratio on deceleration not help? thats the only time that it runs ritch.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:26 PM
Tech Guru

ORIGINAL: qUaTtRoA4

Ummm?...did I miss somethin?

I didn't know lemmiwinks could eliminate the need to keep our systems closed?

Im guessing you are running super rich....ummm....are you releasing pressure to da atmosphere?

I do not believe that playing with your fuel ratio will help at all in da long run...most people are fine running a BOV to da atmosphere for about 6 mos. then their cat is done for.....

well, If I was you I would recirculate as much if not all released pressure...

you will hear a similar effect from running the same piston DV in a closed loop system with a cone filter onda end of ur maf....

gl!
i am no mr. smarty pants, but if the only ill effect is just killing your cat, wouldn't a tp fix that?

i thought by reading some of the other threads and the newbie guide that running a bov will do more harm in the long run than just killing a cat..... but i dunno

Old 11-01-2007, 03:59 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: BARRY

so, i have been contemplating for the longest time...should i get a forge dv, or a regular old bov... for my B6 1.8t quattro w/APR +1

after about 2-3 weeks of debating i just realized i had a brand new Blitz Dual Drive blow off valve somewhere in my room. It is part of a turbo kit i was piecing together for my swapped 1986 corolla that's all decked out.

installing this BOV was a PITA! the blitz piston is huge in comparison to the OEM DV. and the hose that goes to the stock dv is about half the size required of the blitz bov. anyway, with the luck of orchard supply hardware and some brass fittings i got this all mocked up.

the original reason i decided to try installing the bov was the fact that i wanted to see if the factory DV was not holding all the boost pressure that my APR +1 is pushing through it. so far, it seems as though the stock dv was definately holding me back. my car now climbs to redline faster than it did with the factory dv. still fairly slow, but it does it a tad easier now.

definate negatives like you all have stated in previous posts. car dies out when you put the shifter into neutral after boosting. that is true...my solution, tomarrow i will try stiffening the bov spring a tad, and then using lemmiwinks to subtract 5% or 10% fuel on throttle decrease. i'm going to play around with it to see which works best. other than that fact, the car seems great. another tidbit is almost the majority of factory turboed vehicles have a preturbo metering system like our Audi does. Since those cars don't seem to have too much of an issue with installing a bov i figured why not! i'd give it a shot! and it turned out just fine.

pictures and video's to come.
1- i didn't know a dv could improve acceleration...
2- stiffening the spring isn't gona completely solve your problems. if you do it too tight you won't release enough air when it "blows off" and if its notstiff enough its gona be open at idle, which is bad
3- these cars do have issues when running a BOV thats open at idle

ORIGINAL: turbo kraut

i am no mr. smarty pants, but if the only ill effect is just killing your cat, wouldn't a tp fix that?

i thought by reading some of the other threads and the newbie guide that running a bov will do more harm in the long run than just killing a cat..... but i dunno
its not just the cat

Old 11-01-2007, 04:01 PM
Tech Guru

i didn't think so, that is why i said what i said with some sarcasim, and why i was searching and found that month old thread i posted in....... lol

Old 11-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Tech Guru

here just look through some of this stuff
https://www.audiforums.com/searchpro...bmitbutton=+OK+

Old 11-01-2007, 05:03 PM
5th Gear

your maf calculates air before the dv, so if you let it all out you will run rich for a small amount of time. how damaging this is, is disputable, and i think on 2000+ models the car adapts to running a bov in a few days anyways cause of the map sensor so you will only run rich for a day or 2. guess we will find out if/when kemp's engine blows. but a bov that remains open at idle is not good for a car with a MAF. forge 004 and ssqv are both closed at idle. if your running stand alone than you can put whatever you feel like on it.

Quick Reply: Just installed a Blow Off Valve