Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just finished the install of my HIDs!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 02:13 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: just finished the intall of my HIDs!

I just got back from taking the car for a spin, and wow what a difference! I noticed that when I turn them on, they light up real bright then they dim, flicker, and come back to full brightness slowly. is that normal? also has anyone noticed their radio reception going to sh*t after they did this?

Old 05-22-2007, 09:53 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: jcll2002

also whats the difference between vvme and the ones from visionbulbs?
anybody? theres a $100 difference. the only difference i see is one in warranty

Old 05-22-2007, 10:28 AM
2nd Gear

i want to see what the expected Mean time till failure is between vvwe and visonbulbs. i wonder if they really are close at all

Old 05-22-2007, 10:45 AM

Did you ever resolve that flickering problem?

Old 05-22-2007, 02:29 PM
4th Gear

Hey,
Glad to see that you got them working, did my short DIY help any? And with the flickering problem, does it only do that when you turn them on at first? All HID's do that when you first turn them on. Because there is gas in there and no filliment it has to ignite them. When you first turn them on the ballast sends something like 23,000 volts to the bulb to turn it on, thats why you get a flash at first, once then are ignited the volts get dropped back down to 18 I think and then it takes them a few seconds to warm up. Thats why they go from bright to dim to bright again. As for radio reception I have not had any problems really. I don't normally listen to my radio though. I have my stereo wired so I can plug my laptop into it and take all 20 days worth of music with me (about 5000 songs).

Hope that helps!

Oh and were did you end up mounting the ballasts?

Josh

Old 05-22-2007, 02:42 PM
2nd Gear

Nice! I just installed my 8000K kit, huge difference!

Old 05-22-2007, 02:48 PM
2nd Gear

8000K is a bit Blue for me can we get some pics of the 8000k at night as compared to normal head lights.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:31 PM
1st Gear

Is itlegal to put hids in stock halogen reflectors?

Old 05-22-2007, 05:01 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: ThePaintballGuy

Hey,
Glad to see that you got them working, did my short DIY help any? And with the flickering problem, does it only do that when you turn them on at first? All HID's do that when you first turn them on. Because there is gas in there and no filliment it has to ignite them. When you first turn them on the ballast sends something like 23,000 volts to the bulb to turn it on, thats why you get a flash at first, once then are ignited the volts get dropped back down to 18 I think and then it takes them a few seconds to warm up. Thats why they go from bright to dim to bright again. As for radio reception I have not had any problems really. I don't normally listen to my radio though. I have my stereo wired so I can plug my laptop into it and take all 20 days worth of music with me (about 5000 songs).

Hope that helps!

Oh and were did you end up mounting the ballasts?

Josh
yeah it did help, thanks josh.

ah, that makes sense about the flickering, and I think I remember reading something about that but I wasn't sure so I thought I'd ask.

I ended up mounting the driver's side ballast on the underside of the headlight housing, and the passenger side sort of against the side of the airbox that faces forward. there ain't a lot of room to work in there, so I did what I could. I don't think they'll be falling out any time soon.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:07 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: itsnumb

Is itlegal to put hids in stock halogen reflectors?
not exactly. because the light output of xenons exceeds 2200 lumens, there are special restrictions that OEM xenons have to adhere to according to the DOT. a headlight washing system must be installed (we've got that), the headlight housings must be projector-style so that they focus the light beam on the road rather than scattering it into the eyes of the drivers in the oncoming lane (99.5+ drivers have these stock), and the headlights must be self-levelling. (anyone know if the 99.5+ headlights are self-levelling? the owner's manual says it has to be done by audi...)

on top of all that, I don't think it's legal for joe blow to install HIDs into a halogen housing, but we do it anyway.

Quick Reply: just finished the install of my HIDs!