Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just bought an a4 and having alot of issues.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 09:34 PM
1st Gear
Default just bought an a4 and having alot of issues.

Hello to everyone! As the title says I purchased a 2006 A4 Convertible with the 1.8l turbo a few days ago. Since the second day I've had it there have been some relatively expensive issues.

I'll try to make this as brief as possible

The Issue(s)
Second morning I had the car I went to start it up and it idled very rough, bouncing all over the place. While driving it seemed ok enough, bit of a loss in power and fuel economy. but the main problem was while stopped. felt like i was getting a massage.
Check engine light came on so i got my scan tool and found these codes :
p0243 wastegate solenoid circuit
p0300 random misfire
p0301-p0304 misfires all cylinders.

read on here about the coil packs and two were toast due to the valve cover gasket leaking oil onto the plugs/coils. replaced both coils, all spark plugs, valve cover gasket and the wastegate solenoid (test light confirmed power was getting to it). also almost the entire crankcase vent system was cracked, or brittle to the point that it was ready to go. replaced all of that with parts from audi.

installed everything very slowly to make sure all was tight and that i didn't break anything myself cause that stuff was expensive. Cleared the codes then fired it up, same exact codes immediately.

Car has 77k on it. I have the paper work for all work that was done to the vehicle and it was maintained by the dealer i went to for the parts. basically just oil changes with synthetic at the reg intervals and a timing belt and component change at 65k.

kind of at a loss here. I'm well versed in working on vehicles but when it comes to turbos ...ill just say im a bit more of a nitrous man myself.

any help/advice would be appreciated.
Travis

Old 04-13-2012, 12:14 AM
1st Gear

read all sorts of stuff on this site and never noticed that aftermarket coils tend to have issues too. I have 4 coil packs I'm picking up tomorrow from the audi dealership to see if that helps.

for the record, I've never owned a vw nor an audi but the Gossett dealership parts department i've been dealing with in Memphis has been absolutely top notch. Dunno if any of you live in the Mid South but even with all stuff i've been dealing with (with a short temper at times ill admit), these guys have been terrific and extremely helpful.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:27 AM
Tech Certified

You should replace "All" the coils with OEM only , no Chinese crap from Autoblown. You had misfires for All the cylinders , why would you replace only 2 coils? Another thing to check is the coils wiring & connectors for any deterioration.
The coils in these cars are junk! Start out with all new coils & plugs , reset faults , drive the car & see what returns.

Last edited by M5S5; 04-13-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:14 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by M5S5
You should replace "All" the coils with OEM only , no Chinese crap from Autoblown. You had misfires for All the cylinders , why would you replace only 2 coils? Another thing to check is the coils wiring & connectors for any deterioration.
The coils in these cars are junk! Start out with all new coils & plugs , reset faults , drive the car & see what returns.
i replaced the ones that had oil on them and replaced all four spark plugs. Up until later yesterday after accidentally coming across something about the coil packs it never crossed my mind that all four coils could go at once.

Well, I'm off to the dealership to pick up my four coils now and the guy at the counter is letting me swap my plugs for some new ones just in case. I'll post up here shortly if it fixed the issue.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:10 AM
1st Gear

ok got back from the dealer and replaced all 4 coil packs and spark plugs. i let it idle for a few minutes because it was having alot of trouble finding idle. Seemed to idle fine for a moment so i took it for a quick trip around the block and within the mile i drove it it started to idle rough at a stop sign, same codes came up again. p0243,300 301,302,303 and p0304.

I checked the wiring and it all looks brand new. getting voltage to the coils and wastegate solenoid.

I'm starting to get the suspicion that I may have flushed 16k + down the toilet in less than a week.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:29 PM
1st Gear

check the gap on the plugs, the 1.8 can get pretty testy in relation to the plug gap.

Keep working at it, I'm sure one of the moderators will chime in on this thread soon enough and give you some ideas of how to solve the misfires.

From what I've seen on this forum, misfires usually have a pretty reasonable solution.

Good luck!

Old 04-13-2012, 03:56 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MKE_Audi
check the gap on the plugs, the 1.8 can get pretty testy in relation to the plug gap.

Keep working at it, I'm sure one of the moderators will chime in on this thread soon enough and give you some ideas of how to solve the misfires.

From what I've seen on this forum, misfires usually have a pretty reasonable solution.

Good luck!
finally broke down and took it to the dealership i got it from. their service tech and master mechanic told me the wastegate was stuck closed and there was play in the turbo shaft...? Wanted quite a bit of money to replace as my so called extended warranty did not cover it.

After speaking with the sales rep who sold it to me, the mechanics and the general manager of the facility we were able to reach an agreement on an exchange for a brand new vehicle. Had to get a loan for the difference amount but I am extremely happy with the way they handled this. I pick the new car up in the morning.

Thanks everyone for your input and advice.