Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just bought an A4 on ebay, did I get ripped off?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 02:23 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: just bought an A4 on ebay, did I get ripped off?

For 4400, no you did not get ripped off, even if it needs some work thats a good price.

Its a 12v 6cyl, so its the sled of the bunch, its not going to be very fast, but it will be a solid daily driver.

Congrats.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:08 PM
1st Gear

ah well, solid daily driver is what I really need while in college anyway (but no fun). how many carlengths do you think a 1.8t would put on a 12v 2.8? 30v?

Old 08-10-2006, 03:30 PM
4th Gear

A chipped 1.8t, probably two or three.

ok, I am putting this on now:

[IMG]local://upfiles/12448/C09D56EA752C4BD48A43545AC01DAA9A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-10-2006, 03:43 PM
1st Gear

lol i was just curious, no flaming required

sorry if im starting to sound like a ricer n00b.. just a little excited about my purchase

Old 08-10-2006, 03:55 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: drj0ndurst

lol i was just curious, no flaming required

sorry if im starting to sound like a ricer n00b.. just a little excited about my purchase

Wasn't worried about you flaming me, just all the 2.8 owners out there. They still want to argue that they are as fast as a chipped 1.8t, but I say bullshizt!

Old 08-10-2006, 05:10 PM
1st Gear

I have that same car in pearl white with black cloth interior, I have never seen a 96 with anything but cloth. What is leatherette anyway? I thought it was the same as leather, hot and sticky, easy to rip, not worth the extra charge. I've never owned a car with leather and never will.

I feel like my car is pretty quick, it is faster then anything I've owned before, it has 172hp and that is more ponies then I've ever had prior to this car. I also ride a sportbike, so cars generally feel very slow to me anyway. I bought the V6 because I hate turbo chargers so I wouldn't own the 1.8T

The 1996 Audi A4 will go through wheel bearings, ball joints, and the occasional electrical problem.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:45 AM
2nd Gear

The 12V just doesn't breathe as well as the 30V. There are few mods for the 30V and even less for the 12V. The mods probably aren't as effective either because of the air flow restriction. You are going to college though so you shouldn't be worried about mods, you should be spending all of your money on beer and condoms!

Just get your new tires, fix that muffler, replace the A4 emblem on the rear (that would drive me crazy) and the front emblem, you are missing the cap to the washer fluid, change your oil.

Find out when the timing belt was first changed so you know how long you have until you have to change it again. I think it is recommended to change the timing belt every 60k or 70k miles.

During your test drive I would just make sure it doesn't make any strange noises in the engine or tranny and that it shifts well. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to check out the tie rod ends and control arms. If that little rubber boot is torn, then you need to replace them. Its not too expensive if you change it yourself, not sure what it costs at the mechanic. At that mileage, you may find that you need to replace one or the other.

You know, just do all the stuff you would while checking out any car. Any car off of ebay though is worth a little extra time checking it out. I am sure you ran a carfax to make sure that the car wasn't a flood car from IL or anything like that.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:55 AM
5th Gear

don't know how much of this has been said but there's too many replies to read through...

the front grill isn't 'missing' the rings, it's got an aftermarket kamei grill. you can sell it for 80 bucks and buy a cheap stock one if you like the rings better.

you have one clear corner and one stock corner, so you're gonna want to swap those out for some one-piece projectors

it looks like the seats have been replaced with 1.8 seats because all 96s came with real leather afaik (those are fake leather)

you have S4 wheels, that's a plus

overall not a bad deal.

Old 08-11-2006, 09:11 AM
1st Gear

thx for all the info guys, this forum is great

Old 08-11-2006, 05:35 PM
1st Gear

Nice Whip, i love the fact that the front emblem's gone, it looks very tight.

Quick Reply: just bought an A4 on ebay, did I get ripped off?