Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interested in buying my first Audi (used).....

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 09:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Interested in buying my first Audi (used).....

I am pretty interested in buying a used Audi A4 but not sure what to expect for a used Audi. Here is the one i am really looking at....

1997 A4 1.8 Turbo Quattro Sedan AWD $10,888

Milage: 59,222
Color: Sliver w/ Charcoal Interior
Transmission: Manual

Options: Driver Air Bag; Anti-Lock Brakes; Air Conditioning; Alloy Wheels; Cruise Control; Passenger Air Bag; Rear Window Defroster; Power Door Locks; Power Mirrors; Power Windows; Power Steering; Sunroof/Moonroof; Tinted Glass; Tilt Wheel

Comments: FRESH SERVICE, NEW CLUTCH, LOW MILES, WELL EQUIPPED, QUATTRO 5 speed, REALLY NICE AUDI A4.

What do you guy think of it? What are things that i really need to look for? Any reviews for the 97 model. Any help guidence would be appreciated. What do you think a price out the door would be?

Thanks guys,

Michaelangelo

Old 12-14-2004, 09:53 PM
Default RE: Interested in buying my first Audi (used).....

thats some pretty low k for that year did some old lady drive it ? also before i buy any car I have it checked out by a mechanic at the dealer its going to cost u more to have a dealer check it out but they know what to look for

Old 12-14-2004, 10:35 PM
4th Gear

Thats a good price, I paid that and mine had 100k on it.

Old 12-14-2004, 10:40 PM
4th Gear

sounds good, low miles. i say its a good deal. go to kbb.com to compare prices

Old 12-15-2004, 12:19 AM
1st Gear

cool guys thanks. is there anything that you cant think of off the top of your head that i should look for. i want to go look at it first before i take it to a dealer.

Old 12-15-2004, 02:27 AM
2nd Gear

Just above the 2 front wheels, give the car a good push down (on each side) listen for squeaking. It's common (especially on that year) for A4's to have messed up control arms. There was a recall on this, so I don't think it will be much of a problem (make sure you can get it recalled before you buy the car) but you will probably be able to talk down the price

Old 12-15-2004, 08:34 AM
1st Gear

I just bought that exact car (year, model, milage & price) about 3 or so months ago and i love it. My favorite part by far is the fact that its quattro and it handles like it's gettin paid to. Plus up here in Cinci its startin to snow and the quattro completely gets rid of that problem. I'm new at the modin thing, but it seems, just from web surfin and thru these forums, that hookin up the 1.8t is pretty common and works well. I'm pretty sure David_K has a '97 a4 too so make sure you get a review from him. But as for me, I'd say go for it - that's an awesome price.

Old 12-15-2004, 10:46 AM

check the recpits see if the timing belt has been done yet

Old 12-15-2004, 06:51 PM
1st Gear

sounds like an awesome deal man. Yeah check out the suspension and obviously the tires too. See how many miles the clutch has on it.... I'm doubting its BRAND new but thats still nice that it doesn't have 60K miles on it. Thats usually when they start to go. Good luck man and jump on it while you can... the for sale sign doesn't stay on for long.

Old 12-15-2004, 07:41 PM
1st Gear

Just remembered - 60k miles is 1 of audi's major car checkups - i bought mine with like 58.5k miles and when it got to like 61 i went in for regular service and i ended up payin out the *** to get the full 60k mile service - check and see if that has already been done because its so close to 60k or just a warning that it's coming to you in the future if you buy it and it hasnt had it

Quick Reply: Interested in buying my first Audi (used).....