Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 06:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Installing Coilovers

Never installed a suspension before or done any real modding to my car. Im a little hesitant to do it myself, Is this a hard thing to do? what tools to do i need

If anyone would be willing to help i can supply beer and whatever food they want also i can drive to anywhere in MA

Thank you for your time

Old 07-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Default RE: Installing Coilovers

I know a lot of folks have done it, and their experiences vary. Ifyou've never done it before, i hear it's quite a pain.

I'm about to get Koni's put on mine next Friday. I was thinking about doing it myself, but i only have a driveway to work in, so i'm just going to have Induktion Motorsports intall them for me.

I see you got the R-38's. How do they look?

Old 07-18-2007, 07:06 PM
1st Gear

the R-38's acutally look pretty good but the car deffanatly needs to be lowered and i have H&R coilovers sitting in my room(basement) and its killing me that they arent on my car.Kinda heavy

Old 07-18-2007, 07:15 PM
1st Gear

i actually did my suspension a while ago. Its very simple you will just need a set of sockets wrenches the biggest being around 20mm i think, a jack and jack stands.

Anyway I'm sure theres got to be a write up somewhere on here audizine.com, audiworld.com or audidiy.com As long as you are somewhat mechanically inclined it should be simple as taking out 1 bolt on the bottom and 3 or so on top of the strut and swaping the mounts over.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:34 PM
1st Gear

hmm doesnt seem that difficult i may just try to do it myself

Old 07-18-2007, 07:49 PM
1st Gear

Where in MA are you located?

Old 07-18-2007, 07:50 PM
1st Gear

Concord its about 30-45 min west of Boston

Old 07-18-2007, 07:59 PM
1st Gear

I'm in Berkley, and I got all the tools u need to do it, if u wanna do it here your more than welcome I can lend you a hand. Just lemme know either through the forum or email me at howe0822@yahoo.com

Old 07-19-2007, 12:41 AM
3rd Gear

Just in case you hadn't seen this before http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel28.shtml

Old 07-19-2007, 07:40 AM
1st Gear

I installed my CO's a few weeks ago while I was changing my wheel bearings. My car is a B6 but I imagine yours would be similar. Here are some pictures of the installation if it can help you (there might be other ways to do it, this is how I did it).
For the rear, you compress the spring to remove it (some people drop the subframe, I preferred not to go there).

The top of the shock is in the liner, held by 2 bolts, the lower part is easy to see and unbolt.

Installation is just the reverse of the removal. Here is a pic of the finished product.

For the front, you have to detach the top of the mount (the attachment points are under the hood).

Then you can detach the bottom of the shock.

Then you have to rotate the top of the mount to detach the 2 control arms from the shock/spring mount.

To change the spring/shock, compress the spring and rig up something like in the picture. You have to get an allen key through a socket to hold the rod and use a vice-grip on the socket to remove/install the nut (there might be other ways to do it, this is how I did it).

Pic of the new front suspension.

Pic of the finished product.

It may be a little different for the B5, this is how I did it (was it the best/easiest way? I don't know, I know it worked!!!)
Also, you don't need to remove the brakes, rotors, splash guards like I did, I only did it because I was changing the wheel bearings at the same time and had to remove the control arms.
Adjusting the ride height is a real PITA, it took me longer to adjust the suspension than to change it!!!
Oh, and you'll need an alignment if you change the height.

Good luck!!!

Quick Reply: Installing Coilovers