Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing cd deck

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 01:20 AM
2nd Gear
Default installing cd deck

I have a Panasonic cd deck that I had in my last car and I was wondering if i should install it in this car. Will it supply more power to my speakers? and is installation/uninstallion (if i dont like it) a difficult thing to do? where do i find an audi radio key? and also would i need to get a custom face plate made? thanks for any input

[IMG]local://upfiles/8555/11941C0704A24263910D4FF2E25B5F98.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-31-2005, 02:09 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: installing cd deck

I wouldn't because its blue... it will look far worse than the stock deck.
Secondly, your speakers have an amp right now... which is bigger than some teenie internal amp in a head unit.
Not worth your troubles! If I weren't such an audiophile I'd have left my HU stock, and just added a big 5 channel amp like a JL 500/5... and added a sub, and doubled/tripled the power to the stock speakers.

Old 10-31-2005, 02:12 AM
1st Gear

As far as I know, you have to get the face plate made custom.

As for power, you may notice the speakers get slightly louder. You may not. Some people claim they have, but I think they are simply imagining it, since the power increase is so miniscule and the stock deck can already push the speakers past their limits. The only thing your aftermarket deck will provide for sure is more features and the ability to add subs/amps.

edit: oh, I see each speaker is amped.

Old 10-31-2005, 02:25 AM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: KelticSlob

As far as I know, you have to get the face plate made custom.

As for power, you may notice the speakers get slightly louder. You may not. Some people claim they have, but I think they are simply imagining it, since the power increase is so miniscule and the stock deck can already push the speakers past their limits. The only thing your aftermarket deck will provide for sure is more features and the ability to add subs/amps.

edit: oh, I see each speaker is amped.
No each speaker is not amped individually... there is one amp. BOSE it is external and symphony it is attached to the rear drivers side speaker, I think. Anyways... couple things. That deck will have LESS power than the amp... so there would be no 'slight increase in power' over stock.
Secondly, and the bigger error... is "the stock deck can already push the speakers past their limits"

Lets clear this up... what is actually happening is quite the opposite. You are turning up the volume... and the speakers quickly sound like ****. The reasoning behind this, is that the power they are getting is inadequate to drive the speakers at that volume, without distortion. This is why it is easier to blow speakers with LESS power... because distortion is what blows speakers.

I was giving STOCK bose speakers 150 watts RMS and they just got louder and louder -- the point of distortion was now at a volume I dared not venture. My stock symphonies were getting 75 watts RMS and they were doing just as well.

Old 10-31-2005, 03:03 AM
1st Gear

I'm already well aware of clipping and underpowering. I wasn't aware of the Bose amp. Notice how I edited my post...Just figured Audi used crappy stock speakers amped from the deck like the most of the car industry.

That's an impressive amount of power the stock speakers can handle, but they don't sound as nice as affordable aftermarket speakers. Especially My JL XR's.

Old 10-31-2005, 03:09 AM
5th Gear

You're going to think I am crazy, or lying...

but the stock bose speakers sound extremly close to XR's, running on the same amp. I couldn't believe it either.

Old 10-31-2005, 03:52 AM
1st Gear

You don't say.

Old 10-31-2005, 11:51 AM
5th Gear

Yeah, it is pretty crazy. Definately a different sound than the XRs... the highs are a lot softer on the bose, the XR's a lot crisper... but the Bose have more midbass -- and midbass is tough to come by when running a 5.25" speaker. So they are different sounds... hard to tell which is better. I'd prolly go XR's if money was no object, as I do prefer their sound to the bose... but as it was so hard to choose, I'd likely never upgraded.

My focal polykevlars are awaiting installation though.

Old 10-31-2005, 07:59 PM
2nd Gear

alright thanks guys, i wont bother installing it, ill just sell it.