Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing BOV

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 09:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Installing BOV

ok so i installed bov today and i do not think that it is blowing off correctly its more like sputterinrg out is this because my car is stock and dosent have enough boost i try adjusting setting on bov but still the same thing any help would be great

Old 01-07-2005, 09:15 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Installing BOV

try adjusting th escrew both ways to the maximums, its quite possible that there is not enough boost to activate it. make sure you vaccume lines are ok too. what type of BOV is it? tnx

Old 01-08-2005, 12:33 AM
4th Gear

The problem is the bov, why do you think audi didnt put on there in the first place if it was meant to be. Doing a bov to stock a4 is retarded, get some ***** in your car before you do that.

Old 01-08-2005, 01:18 AM
3rd Gear

u should not install a bov on an audi anyways u should install a diverter valve

Old 01-08-2005, 01:22 AM
1st Gear

um why again is a BOV the problem? oh because audi didn't PUT it there? so in other words exhaust systems are the problems, fuel computers are the problems, data logging hardware is the problem too?? just because audi didn't put it there doesn't mean that it will not work there. the allmighty AUDI is not a god, they are not perfect, their cars CAN be improved on. that said...

the BOV will work on your car just fine, the problem is probibly the spring rate and adjustments of the bov(well depending on what type(spring, vaccume, etc)), tell us what bov you have and we can hopefully help more.

if its a spring controlled bov then you could open it up, take out the spring and go to a parts store and try to fine a similar one(same travel, same installed height, etc) with a softer spring rate, i would expect thats almost impossible though, you could probibly order a softer spring from whoever makes the BOV, thats prolly your best bet. make sure the new spring will work(when adjusted) to the higher boost settings of a new chip(you'll want one sooner or later) or just keep your old one and get good at opening and closing your BOV.

hope i helped

ps here are the adverse affects of running a 100% atmospheric BOV on a turbocharged car that comes stock with a diverter valve. when boost is created then vented on a stock system that boost is recirculated back into the intake system, the computer knows when this is going to happen through throttle percentages etc, so it adds fuel to compensate for this air it will be getting. when youput an aftermarket BOV on what will happen is you will build boost then vent it(shifting, throttle on-off, etc) and the computer THINKS that the vented air will be comming back into the system, and thus adds fuel, only the air isn't comming back. now you have fuel but no air(basically) which makes the car run rich for a moment while venting, this can cause an after fire(the correct term for backfire, backfire is incorrect) basically a pop in your exhaust system. the BOV can also cause the car to idle improperly IF IT IS ADJUSTED WRONG, the bov should be adjusted at idle until it is closed and not venting at idle, if its open same as before its running rich, adjust it right and it will run fine.

lets try to stop the spread of misinformation people, thanks

Old 01-08-2005, 01:29 AM
3rd Gear

u need to read up on ur audis greenday cause bov are not good for the cars mass air system that is y audi installs adiverter valve from the factory

Old 01-08-2005, 01:30 AM
1st Gear

read again.

oh but i do aggree that you should have some bite with your bark

Old 01-08-2005, 02:37 AM

the BOV damage is just a myth. ab1618 how would you know do you have one?

Old 01-08-2005, 02:48 AM
2nd Gear

STFA, its covered almost every 24hrs on this damn site.

Greenday, do a search on AW, you'll find tons of stuff since you are new to audi's, at least by your previous posts it sounds like you are.

Old 01-08-2005, 02:49 AM
1st Gear

they don't know they just regurgitate(sp?) what they hear, without any physical evidence, not even theorical. they are just helping hte spread of misinformation.

edit: a typing mistake i couldn't let slide

Quick Reply: Installing BOV