Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed my Tip-Chip today!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Default Installed my Tip-Chip today!!

So i finally gota GIAC tip-chip for my 2.8, and man what a difference. It's certainly no replacement for a manual, but she definitely kicks into gear now and shifts a lot better. That lazy shift is all but gonenow.....so overall i'm pretty tickled with it. Can't wait to really test it out tomorrow.

I got it used for $225 - and the seller was top-notch!We tippy owner's don't get a lot of respect on here, so i have to at least represent the few of us on here that were unfortunate to make a badchoice.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:25 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Installed my Tip-Chip today!!

Congrats! No negative things to say at all about it huh?

Old 09-11-2007, 06:29 PM

I just put it in and took it for a quick spin, so i haven't really tested it out yet. Should i expect anything negative from it?

Old 09-11-2007, 06:30 PM
4th Gear

Hey i can understand it you own a tip ive driven alot manuals cars, really just about any german car ive owned except the 318is and the audi 90cs fwd. i am actaully looking for a 1.8t avant tip. and this post only make me want to get a tip with a tip even more. yes all you flamer can call me a ***** for wanting an auto but i dont autocross as much as i used to and the increased traffic in my town not to mention getting stuck behind trucks all the time dosent really appeal to me and working the clutch, that and i think i may need a new one soon.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Site Moderator

The one negativething Ive heard more than once as far as a tip chip review goes is that it can jolt you, almost uncomfotably, into the gears unless you are really getting on it. In other words part throtle shifts are sort of uncomfortable compared to full throtle shifting. Its actually the only thing that has held me back from getting a tip chip. But I have no personal experience to know for sure. Other than that, Ive heard mostly good things about it.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:46 PM

Just took it out for a more spirited spin and it definitely has higher shift points over the stock TCU, and to me,makes the car feel a bit more beefier overall. It does have a slight kick from 1st to 2nd, and a slighter one from 2nd to 3rd, but it really doesn't bother me, and i understand that it's a by-product of the chip.

I did determine that if i run it in tip-mode, that i have to take 1st gear a little higher into the rpm range thanbefore or it will hesitate a little bit going into2nd.....similar to going into 2nd too early on a manual. Something i'll have to adjust to.

Overall, i would highly recommend adding this chip....definitely a worth-while investment in my book. Now, if i can only find aused GIAC 2.8 chip (not worth it, but screw it, i want one anyways)

Old 09-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Site Moderator

You need to supercharge that SOB! I mean DAMN! Would someone just DO IT already?!?!?

Is there any way you could get a speedo/tach video? I think the effects of the tip chip could be seen by looking at the rpm's between shifts and hearing the engine. PLEASE?

Old 09-11-2007, 09:12 PM

I'll try to take some video tomorrow and post it up so everyone can see.