Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMPORTANT SEAFOAM QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 06:23 PM
2nd Gear
Default IMPORTANT SEAFOAM QUESTION

Hey folks... I'm sitting here all nervous as I wait the recommended 20 minutes to let the Seafoam eat away the crud in my engine. the reason for this thread is that when I read this in the procedure:

"Once i see a good amount of smoke coming out of the exhaust i turn of the car and disconnect my seafoam setup to let the seafoam eat through anything carbon deposit related. ENGINE should be TURNED OFF"

I did this:

Let the little tube suck up the seafoam in the measuring cup (that I used to make sure that I had the exact amount) but by the time it finished sucking up all of the miracle liquid, there was PLENTY of smoke coming out of the back. NOW, in the procedure the author says that he turns the car off "once he sees a good amount of smoke".BUT, because he didn't say;

"By the time the little tubefinishes sucking up all of the miracle liquid, there should bePLENTY of smoke coming out of the back. At that point you can turn off your engine and let the car sit for around 10-20 minutes."

I'm just wondering if I didthis wrong? Is it that big of a deal? I'm guessing no, so I'm wondering how many others do the seafoam treatment and with respect to my procedure do you all do it the same way or do you follow the website procedure like you have a pickle up your a$$ [:-]

Cheers

P.S. Website procedure can be found here

Old 06-06-2007, 07:10 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: IMPORTANT SEAFOAM QUESTION

Nothing. It is just Seafoam burning. Let it sit for 10-20 minutes, restart the car and be prepared for a lot of smoke. You may get some misfire codes or a CEL. Just clear it.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:44 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: david9999

Nothing. It is just Seafoam burning. Let it sit for 10-20 minutes, restart the car and be prepared for a lot of smoke. You may get some misfire codes or a CEL. Just clear it.
2nd that, when I did mine, I started seeing smoke before the Seafoam was all sucked in. I just let the sucking finish and stopped the car.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:57 PM

I'm late but it's no big deal. Was it fun smoking out the neighborhood?

Old 06-06-2007, 08:05 PM

the first time i ran seafoam through my truck it smoked for 35 minutes just drive it till all the smoke is gone. be sure to do an oil change pretty soon after, youll really pay for it later if you dont believe me. .02

barrett

Old 06-07-2007, 07:44 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the advice guys,

Texas boy, I just put the seafoam in the vacuum line and in my gas tank. Am I correct in assuming that I won;t ned to do an oil change? Also, back in the day with my 1980 Jetta, I used to flush out my engine using deisel fuel.

I'd drain the oil, disconnect the plugs and put it about 3 quarts of deisel where the oil goes.
Then I'd turn the engine over a few times and drain it.
Then I'd repeat the process until the deisel came out fairly clear.
I would then let the engine sit for a few hours with the drain plug, oil filter and oil filler cap OFF so the deisel could vent out.
After about an hour or so, I'd close everything back up, install a new filter and refil the oil.

This seemed to work great. What do you guys think of this method?

Old 06-07-2007, 08:00 PM

that sounds like it would work well, very creative. I had to perform an oil change because i also ran seafoam throught the crankcase for a few hundred miles. seeing you did not i think you will be ok.

barrett

Old 06-07-2007, 09:46 PM
3rd Gear

do we have to let it suck up one full can ?

Old 06-07-2007, 10:02 PM

What i would do in with my truck is a full can in the crank case and half a can in the gas tank, then i would use the seafoam spray to clean the throttle body and hte intake manifold with the truck running to try and clean out the top half of the engine. i have not done it in the a4 yet but am looking to do it soon probably this weekend. have yall just ran some in the gas tank and the vaccum lines about half a can each?

barrett

Old 06-08-2007, 12:13 AM
4th Gear

no need to worry youll get smoke from the exhaust even in the engine bay making it look like a bad head asket then a crap load of smoke when you start up again and even when the smoke subsides after about 20 minutes littel puff for about a day, its just the sea foam buring.

Quick Reply: IMPORTANT SEAFOAM QUESTION