Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

im bout to kill my car! help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 06:35 PM
3rd Gear
Default im bout to kill my car! help!

So quick run through. fuel pump went bad. audi replaced. week later, car is running like crap. hard to start like it is not getting gas. so i took back because the CEL came on. I got these two codes.
p1136

p1128

They told me it was two breather hoses, so i replaced them.
Still same codes. Then they said spark plug coils, so i replaced them and spark plugs.
Then i noticed they did the fuel pump but not the filter. it had 150K miles on the original. So i replaced that.
Still same codes. WTF could it be??
Fuel pump relay? What could still cause those codes.
Whats the best way to reset the computer? I checked and all hoses are good. no leaks, no vaccuum leaks.
This might help too. There is a loud noise coming from the back of the car that sounds like the pump is working overtime.
Its almost like a clicking noise! then when its done clicking, i hear a loud bang. its not a backfire but it shakes the car. Almost like the fuel pump is blasting out of place!
I am at a loss and audi still can figure out the problem! The fuel cap is also making some funny noises. A lot of air is being sucked in and just standing next to car you can hear the hissing. I replaced the cap too. same problem.

Car revs ok but when in gear, any throttle will stutter the motor! Turbo is spinning fine. I bought the car with a BOV on it and just replaced with a DV. The BOV was on there for a long time. I bought a downpipe but have not put on yet. Audi also told me it could be my computer ****ed up. I have Apr chipped.

Please help or im gonna throw this car off a cliff!
Thanks

Old 06-09-2006, 06:59 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: im bout to kill my car! help!

Since the trouble started when you replace the BOV, check to see that you have all the connections tiake at the DV.
It is unclear if you just read the codes, or have cleared them.

If you want to reset the computer, disconnect it for half an hour. However, don't do this unless you have the security code for your radio, or it will be locked up.

Old 06-09-2006, 07:13 PM
3rd Gear

the trouble started way before i replaced the BOV. I just replaced that today!
Dont know what else to do!

Old 06-09-2006, 07:19 PM
dan
2nd Gear

are you clearing the codes before you replace the next component? The codes don't clear themself even if the problem is no longer there

Old 06-09-2006, 07:31 PM
3rd Gear

now even if i fix the problem and the codes are still there, i guess the computer is still thinking its messed up right?
If i unplug for 30 minutes, does the comp reset itself?
sorry. I just never had any problems with this car and its my first german car so im not farmiliar with the computers and stuff!

Old 06-09-2006, 07:39 PM
dan
2nd Gear

The only way to reset them is to actually clear them using the proper VAG tool. You can go to autozone and have them read and clear the codes for you for free. Or you can pick up a code reader for like $70 at pep boys. If you want to get really hard core you can buy a vag-com cable from ross-tech. You need a windows laptop for their software to run though.

Old 06-09-2006, 07:46 PM
5th Gear

The vag-com pays for itself pretty damned quickly... considering how much a dealer charges to do it. I guess you can counter my argument with the fact that autozone is free... but yeah. You can do a lot with the vag, that you can't do at autozone.

I recommend that everyone get a vag-com, if you plan on owning an audi for an extended period of time.

Old 06-09-2006, 07:49 PM
3rd Gear

but if i fixed the problem, but the codes are still on cause i didnt reset yet, would that cause the problem to still exist?
Could resetting the comp and clearing the codes possibly fix my car?

Old 06-09-2006, 07:52 PM
dan
2nd Gear

Have the codes cleared and see if they come back. If they do the problem isnt fixed. If they don't then you probably fixed the issue with one of the many things you tried :P. The error codes are really a log, they will stay until they are cleared, regardless if the problem still exists or not.

You *should* clear the codes after each change to make sure you actually fixed the problem and save yourself time and money on un-needed repairs.

Old 06-09-2006, 07:54 PM
3rd Gear

well everytime audi tells me one thing and clears the codes, the same ones come back so im bout to freakin go nuts on them. I saved over a grand the last two weeks in labor alone by doing stuff myself. they were gonna charge me 300 for replacing the spark plug coils and i did it in 30 minutes! haha