Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ignition problems...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 08:39 PM
1st Gear
Default ignition problems...

so...where shall i start?
i own a 1996 2.8q 5spd. the car was running fine, but the only thing i had noticed was that the key was a little difficult to get in and start. However, after a little jiggling it was possible. One day i drove to the store, and turned off my car. i then found it much more difficult than normal to remove the key from the ignition but did not think much of it. after i came back out, the car failed to start after a battle with the ignition to get the key in. i tried jump starting it and nothing; so i push started it back to my house and later to a mechanic. after checking he said the starter was bad and replaced it. it is almost impossible to now get the key in and out of the ignition as the tumbler is all messed up. after he replaced the starter, it started once, and on the second try it would not start. the starter was fried once again aand i hated wasted around $350. anyway, i searched the forums and found out the ignition switch could be the problem as the broken onces remain in the start position and fail to return to on after the car is starter, thus supplying the starter with juice and frying it. i then learned of the recall there was on the ignition switch, but the dealer informed me that it had already been taken care of by the previous owner.
there is no doubt that i need a new tumbler set and key, maybe a new ignition switch, and to replace the starter again. my question is can anyone give me fairly detailed instructions on how to replace the tumbler set and the starter. any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:58 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: ignition problems...

There was a recall IIRC on the ignition switch. Dealers were to replace the switch. You probably need a new switch and yumbler set. It seems that the mechanic didn't fix the problem though.... you shouldn't be out for a starter is the mechanic was negligent in diagnosing the problem.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:43 PM
4th Gear

Sounds like you need a new ignition tumbler. Your starter may not be fried, and the first one may have been OK too.

Steering lock cylinder - ignition switch removing and installing

CAUTION!

Disconnect the battery Ground (GND) strap before working on the electrical system.

Notes:

Before disconnecting the battery determine the correct coding for the anti-theft radio.

After reconnecting the battery, check and activate the vehicle's electrical equipment (radio, clock, comfort and convenience features, etc.) as outlined in this Repair Manual or the Owner's Manual.

Notes:

For removing, the lock cylinder, always use the spare key or shop key with the flat plastic handle.

The master key equipped with a light and/or remote control transmitter in its handle is unsuitable for removal because the keys broad handle covers an access hole in the lock cylinder.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

94-42

Removing

- Remove driver's-side airbag unit and steering wheel.

Repair Manual, Body Interior, Repair Group 69

- Remove steering column switches Page 94-37 .
- Insert spare or shop key and switch ignition on: access hole will appear in front of switch next to ignition key slot.

- Insert length of steel wire or small screwdriver (approx. 2 mm dia.) as far as it will go, as illustrated, and pull lock cylinder out of steering lock housing in direction of arrow.

Installing

- Ignition switch must be in " ignition on" position.
- Push lock cylinder with ignition key all way into steering lock housing and press in firmly until catch engages audibly.
- Install steering column switches and steering wheel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[IMG]local://upfiles/1947/0617608161854CC68D7FF65272BE8F86.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1947/C840EC5E10A747059EF4AD9DEA624D72.gif[/IMG]

Old 10-25-2006, 03:42 PM
1st Gear

ahhhhhhhhh thank you exactly what i needed. can anyone tell me anything about the starter? i hear its a very involved process... :\

Old 10-26-2006, 03:33 AM
3rd Gear

When the ignition switch sticks in the crank posiition the starter stays engaged to the engine and spins much faster than it was designed to. Thats why the new starter failed on the second start atempt. It was running the whole drive home.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:36 PM
1st Gear

do i need to a new key to start my car if i do this?

Old 05-15-2007, 03:44 AM
1st Gear

i'm having this problem!! i don't understand the instructions. do i have to buy this "ignition tumbler" ? if so, where can i get it? i can't find it online

Old 05-15-2007, 04:12 AM

you dont need a new tumbler/barrel just the black connector on the end which fits between the harness plug and the barrel,
the last picture is the part you need to replace

[IMG]local://upfiles/12092/4566D8A95F41421AA2CE4B93F498C4F3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12092/B0CCFB31941B411688C10F689DC1654E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12092/050E73A178244B5A88BB4A61AD8A69D8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12092/B5042B88B00B483E92CEE3433537E559.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12092/CCE0C48784D04A4F897FAC40FB3059D8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-15-2007, 12:43 PM
1st Gear

dude, theres a factory recall on this. i got mine done at the dealership

Old 05-15-2007, 01:30 PM
1st Gear

i say take it to your dealer and show them that even though it was replaced on recall that its still fucked up, hopefully they will understand. if not then move up to AOA and tell them about your problem, you shouldnt be out $350 for their **** up. otherwise you can do what i did, once you get your starter replaced start the car like normal but turn the key back one click until your radio and headlights can get power, and then drive. The headlights, and radio will get no power if key is left in crank position. BUT MAKE SURE IF YOU DO THIS YOU TURN BACK THE KEY EVERY TIME YOU START!!! oh yeh btw Disclaimer: I am not held responsible for anything you do to your car. I did that for about 6 months before i got the recall notice, and it worked fine, never fried my starter. Although its a bitch to explain this to someone else if for some reason they need to drive your car.

Quick Reply: ignition problems...