Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle Problem. . . Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 12:15 PM
Default RE: Idol Problem. . . Any ideas?

Yeah, I agree that these Audi engines are loud-start motors as i have owned three of them now, however this idol problem isdefinately not standard. It almost dies sometimes, andhas died idoling a few different times now

My car is a 2000 1.8TQ.

Thanks man!

Old 05-21-2007, 12:19 PM
5th Gear

Yeah you more than likely have a bad secondary air pump... which requires replacement of both the pump and the combination valve. Parts aren't cheap.
Do you have a check engine light on? SAP is the source of my CEL right now. Fecking thing!
Vag that sucker if you haven't already.

Better fix:
http://www.integrated-engineering.or...2600b36d59cdf9
and this too:
http://www.integrated-engineering.or...2600b36d59cdf9

Old 05-21-2007, 12:19 PM
1st Gear

There are also some hoses further down, near the turbo, and going down in the passenger side underneath the turbo inlet pipe, in particular there are hoses going to your DV (diverter valve), check those as well.

Get a can of ether (starting fluid) or carb cleaner and spray the hoses with the car idling, when you spray a particular spot and your idle changes, that's where your leak is.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:25 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: kpatz

There are also some hoses further down, near the turbo, and going down in the passenger side underneath the turbo inlet pipe, in particular there are hoses going to your DV (diverter valve), check those as well.

Get a can of ether (starting fluid) or carb cleaner and spray the hoses with the car idling, when you spray a particular spot and your idle changes, that's where your leak is.

Propane torch, minus the flame works great, too.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:27 PM

Hey thanks for all the help guys, seriosuly appreciated

Too bad im at F-ing work right now! I want to go try all of this right now, unfortunately i can't

Headshok: By installing that block-off plate and resistor, i will not be comprimising my motor or hp etc?

kpatz: that sounds too easy to be true, i just spray each hose down as my car is idoling and when i spray a certain hose and the idol changes, i most likely have some type of leake in that hose??

Old 05-21-2007, 01:43 PM
1st Gear

I'm thinking secondary air pump now, simply because you say your idle is fine after the noise stops?

Vac leak would cause bad idle with or without the air pump running.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:46 PM

Ok thanks!

God i wish i could get out of this damn desk and go check my SAP haha

Old 05-21-2007, 01:50 PM
5th Gear

I prefer the propane method if you want to test for leaks... it's a gas, so you aren't spraying liquid everywhere in your engine bay. Just use a propane torch, don't light it, and 'spray' the propane around all suspected hoses.

But yeah, I'm still thinking SAP too.
No, you won't lose hp or have any adverse effects... other than polluting more than you should on cold start-ups.
I seriously don't like to pollute, but I'm going to on this one. I've had my SAP air pump replaced once, now it's time for it to come out forever.

EDIT: to 'check' your SAP what's your plan of action? I know mine spits out water sometimes... not a good sign. People who complain about a sound akin to a jet aircraft taking off under their hood are usually victims of SAP issues. Remember, combination valve is what actually causes the SAP to die... so you've got to replace both.
Vag code should say something like "secondary air: incorrect flow detected" or some BS. I can't even remember.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:55 PM

haha yeah i would probably be thinking the same.

sorry for all the questions, will this cause you to fail any emissions tests of any kind you think?

Old 05-21-2007, 01:58 PM
5th Gear

It's possible that you'd fail if they ran it cold... but I'll be sure to have my mechanic do it as soon as I drop the car off.
I passed emissions last time, and the SAP was dead then, too. Shouldn't make a difference when it's been removed.

Quick Reply: Idle Problem. . . Any ideas?