Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i think i need a new differential

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Default i think i need a new differential

i just bought an A4 98 1.8t quattro and i was ridding down the highway when my car started to shake it had done this before at high speeds so i thought no biggie cuz it stopped when i slowed down and i noticed i had a flat so i changed the tire and it did it again every time i pressed the gas it would shake like hell then stop when i eased off the gas then my clutch burned out and i replace it with a stage to i put it in the shop to make sure nothing else was wrong but the said i need a new differential but when i had another mechanic look at it he said it was fine any thoughts

Old 11-28-2006, 03:37 PM
Default RE: i think i need a new differential

.... congrats on the longest sentence in the history of Audi Forums....

So is it still shaking, i'm confused...

So, It has shaken before, you had a flast and fixed it?

Then it did it again, and the clutch was bad, so you had it replaced?

did it stop then, or is it still doing it? Have you driven it since the clutch replacement, and if so, has it still done it?

Old 11-28-2006, 03:40 PM

check the engine and gearbox mounts it could be a loose mount issue since you just replaced the clutch

Old 11-28-2006, 03:58 PM
4th Gear

Old 11-28-2006, 04:09 PM

well its still in the shop and when me and my buddies looked at the car it appeared it was just the clutch cuz the car would start and everything it just would always be in neutral it would go into gear without pressing the clucth ant the guy who put in the clutch said it was the differential as well how would i know if this is true

Old 11-28-2006, 04:19 PM
4th Gear

Old 11-28-2006, 06:46 PM
Site Moderator

You guys are brutal.

98 1.8 quattro- My eyes hurt from trying to read that. Please use punctuation. What exactly is your car doing?

After deciphering your hieroglyphics, this is what I came up with-

"I just bought an A4 98 1.8t quattro. I was driving down the highway when my car started to shake. It had done this before at high speeds, so I thought no big deal since it stopped when I slowed down. I noticed I had a flat tire, so I changed the tire. It continued every time I pressed the gas. It would shake like hell, then stop when I eased off the gas. Then my clutch burned out. I replace it with a stage two. I put it in the shop to make sure nothing else was wrong. The mechanic said I need a new differential. When I had another mechanic look at it he said it was fine. Any thoughts?"

"The car is in the shop. My buddies and I took a look at the car. It appeared that it was just the clutch. It would start and run. It just would always be in neutral. It would go into gear without pressing the clucth. The guy who put the clutch in said it was the differential. How would I know if this was true?"
What speed does it start to shake?
Does it change with rpm or speed?
Does your clutch work? Is there any noise?
Is it a more of a vibration or a shaking?
Can you tell where it might be coming from?
Did it get better, worse, or stay the same after the tire was replaced?
What type of shop did you take it to? (Midas, a euro shop, or some generic place?)

Old 11-28-2006, 06:54 PM
3rd Gear

I have done worse.. dont take it to heart.. the spelling looks good, but im Dyslexic so dont take my word for it..
ORIGINAL: 98 1.8 quattro

i just bought an A4 98 1.8t quattro and i was ridding down the highway when my car started to shake it had done this before at high speeds so i thought no biggie cuz it stopped when i slowed down and i noticed i had a flat so i changed the tire and it did it again every time i pressed the gas it would shake like hell then stop when i eased off the gas then my clutch burned out and i replace it with a stage to i put it in the shop to make sure nothing else was wrong but the said i need a new differential but when i had another mechanic look at it he said it was fine any thoughts

Old 11-28-2006, 07:00 PM

the spelling meant nothing as long as we understood and I did so stuff the punctuations and just say whats on your mind ( we are not here to judge your capabilities on the English language but just to help out with basic understandings, nothing personal

Old 11-30-2006, 11:02 AM

It does it at like 50. And when i put it in gear it makes a sort of rubbing noise but it doesn't go anywhere before i put the clutch in. And after the clutch was installed the shop told me that it was my differentials they were not alligned or something. They said it is very common in audis, and that i would have to take it somewhere to get the diff lined up or sumthin i dont know too much about cars either. It is more of a starts as a vibration and as the car accelerate it just starts shaking. They said that my diff broke and that caused the clutch to burn out.