Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I-Pod hardwired to the audi sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 01:42 AM
1st Gear
Default I-Pod hardwired to the audi sound system?

Is there any way of doing this? What is the cheepest way to hardwire it to your car. I want to be able to listen to my ipod nice and clear! Thanks

Please include directions if possible!

Old 05-06-2005, 04:01 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: I-Pod hardwired to the audi sound system?

The most inexpensive way that i know is through a brand called peripheral. I've don a bit of research but this is what i gathered anyway. With this adaptor you can convert your factory changer cable to hook up this adaptor so you can control your ipod from your stereo. The adaptor goes for 249.99 CAD and the audi adaptor goes for 25 CAD. I work at Future Shop (Best Buy equivalent in the states for all you americans) in Winnipeg in the Car Audio department. I'm planning to get one myself, but i still need to do more research. Hope that helped you out a bit.

Old 05-06-2005, 12:21 PM
4th Gear

Apple sells FM transmitters. One of my friends has the Griffin iTrip for iPod. It sells fot $34.95. Find a store that will let you demo it.

Old 05-06-2005, 04:27 PM
1st Gear

yeh but the only problem with the Itrip, is the quallity isnt nearly as good. If you check out the Electronics section of the forums their are a few threads about this. Some really good information..

-Alex

Old 05-06-2005, 05:10 PM
1st Gear

As an avid Ipod user, I've done quite a bit of research on this subject. Up until recently there were relatively few ways to listen to your ipod in the car. Those methods are:
1. tape adpater connected to the headphone jack. Lackluster performance.... remember the cassette tape days?
2. FM transmitter- only recently did they develop transmitters where you can select any station you want rather than the three or four pre-selected ones. Performance is still very poor and if a radio station spills over from a station setting above or below you, performance is at the very least frsutrating.
3. headphones.... illegal in most states.

Now there are several more ways to connect. One of the more popular is for those with aftermarket radios, you can connect by RCA into the rear audio inputs. Pros: cleaner sound. Cons: must use ipod controls, hardwired, so wire placement is critical (if you care). This RCA connection can be done several ways. The nicest being the ability to actually connect through the ipod cradle with gives the best sound. The cradle has an output jack (headphone sized) on the back, where all you need is a headphone connector to RCA connector cable. You can forgo the cradle, but the sound will suffer some.

The newest connection comes from the CD changer technology. It can be seen in two ways.
1. The first is present in aftermarket radios that have built-in ipod controls. you can actually control the ipod through the buttons on the headunit. These are a tad more expensive than the regular aftermarket radios, but worth it if this is how you want to connect. These afermarket radios have ipod controls that are "asleep" until you connect an adapter that enables you to use the haedunit buttons to control the ipod.
2. Integrated ipod controls on factory radios. Audi is one of them. BMW is another. But these car manufacturers have realized that ipod is here to stay and have integrated adapters in several models so that all you have to do is connect your ipod to the adapter (usually in the glove box) and you can get limited control of your ipod. Most only allow up to 25 playlists and unless you have MMI, the scrolling to find what you could be difficult. Only certain Audi models will have the ipod adapter. I think the new A4s and the TTs will get them first.

There are several other ways to get music into your car. The way I will be going eventualy is by installing a computer into my car....actually my wife's SUV. I'll be able to watch DVDs, listen to my entire collection of music and much much more.... PS2, etc.

Check crutchfield.com and ipodlounge.com for more ideas.
One last thing before I go..... if you go with the FM transitter, be sure to get one that at least gives you the entire FM range to play with. Not just four presets. I have one and here in FL it's still almost impossible to get clear reception. Good luck.