Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I might regret this in 30 years

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 02:59 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: I might regret this in 30 years

ORIGINAL: Yuikio

Well here's the good news. No one has ever been disappointed by a chip. It makes your car a lot faster. You will be more than satisfied by the power increase. And, if you have a sodder-in ECU, you can probably recoup some of that financial loss when you sell the car by keeping your stock ECU and selling your GIAC.
Hopefully you keep the car long enough to make it worth selling your cards.
To be honest, I don't think you should trade any more cards that have both nostalgic and real monetary value for performance gains for your car. If you've got anything else worth selling, I say keep it, give it to your son, his son, etc. You can't really do that with your GIAC-chipped Audi. The fun you get from that, while immense and very very real, is fleeting compared to the value your cards probably have for you.

I could literally not care less about any other material possession I might spend money on besides my car. That said, I would draw the line at the guitar or the piano or something that will be here long after the car has given up, that gives me just as much enjoyment as my car and that I could trade for stuff to make my car faster/nicer.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, and maybe you'll catch the mod bug bad and never look back, which has happened to countless people.
Put your regrets on check until you've driven the car for a while. It's so exhilerating the first time you goose it and there's so mcuh extra torque around 3000rpms that you have to lean back and let your seat help support your neck. You will smile wider than you probably have in a while, and probably giggle a little. You might even want to go out to the garage after dinner and look at your car, and decide to get in, and then take it on another impulse run just to feel that power surge again. It really is that good.
I agree with all that. And stop teasing me MFER!!!!!!!!!!! I cant FING WAIT NOW! What you have described about the chip is exactly how I know I'll feel. My wife will likely be convinced that Im going to kill myself with the new rocket. I just pray that nothing goes wrong shortly after I spend the $$ on the chip.

Old 11-10-2005, 03:00 AM
3rd Gear

I think since it's DBW it's a flash, but yeah, it's hard to keep it straight. The only thing I know for sure is that 2001.5s get flashes. Other than that, it's all a big mystery.

Old 11-10-2005, 03:02 AM
Administrator

onepoint8tee cant u taste that extra 40-50 hp and 50 ft-lbs gain
imagine how much fast its gonna be, think of the boost

Old 11-10-2005, 03:05 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: PandaXpress

onepoint8tee cant u taste that extra 40-50 hp and 50 ft-lbs gain
imagine how much fast its gonna be, think of the boost
Ahhhhh..... Yes..... Cant wait for the "O Face" One thing Im REALLY looking forward to also is hearing the turbo spool up.

Old 11-10-2005, 03:07 AM
Administrator

i kno how u feel but it doesnt consume me
i cant wait to see my boost guage go pass 0.5BARS

Old 11-10-2005, 03:09 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: PandaXpress

i kno how u feel but it doesnt consume me
i cant wait to see my boost guage go pass 0.5BARS
Are you suggesting that I have been consumed by my lust for giac? Your right. ill get over it though like you said before.. I dont know about being bored though.

Old 11-10-2005, 03:13 AM
Administrator

im sure you'll love it, and someday i'll experience it also but in REVO form

Old 11-10-2005, 03:15 AM
3rd Gear

It's like, you get back to the shop you dropped it off at, maybe you just get called into the garage from the waiting room, and your car is sitting there looks exactly the same, but it's different just because you know it's different. You get in the car, and you're already smiling, trying to keep it under control though, trying to be rational, telling yourself "those guys were probably exaggerating, don't get your hopes up, keep a stiff upper lip if it isn't as good as I think it will be, " and the tech guy is telling you what to expect through the window, but you aren't listening. Not at all. You're sliding your hands around the wheel, rubbing the shift ****. He says, "Ok, mr onepoint8, have a good day." You say in your best calm, mannish mechanic voice, "You too. Later." You coast out of the garage extra slow, to underscore the idea that you're playing it cool, if only to yourself. Roll to the street, and it's already clear. No one visible in either direction. Like it was fate. You hesitate for a second, and just drop the hammer. It doesn't feel different. WTF? Your stomach absolutely drops. Nails the floor, splatters all over your interior. You are so disappointed, you are going to do a slow U turn, and roll morosely back to the shop, demaAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMpshMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM M!!! 55mph on this little road behind the shop. Because you weren't expecting it, because you didn't remember about turbo physics in your giddy state, it seems even faster than it is. You don't even want to sit back in your seat, but you do, because it's surprisingly hard to sit straight up.

For whatever reason, you can't keep from just crushing the throttle to the floor more than once on your way home. That Caravan going the speed limit? Look to your right, flick your ankle, and whooOOOOOM. You just passed it. You are most definitely taking the long way home. You walk into the kitchen later than usual, still with a ****-eating grin, whistling. You hopped up and down a couple times on your way inside to not appear like a seventh grade girl who saw Johnny Depp on the street to your wife, but when she asks you how your day went, you can't play it cool. You can't just say "fine." You have to add something extra, or your faked nonchalance is betrayed by your mouth refusing to stay at attention.

Have a good night.

Old 11-10-2005, 03:20 AM
2nd Gear

As time goes by it get a little old. But its still fun. Your frontrak, so once you floor it around 5k your tires will break loose under acceration in 1st. The first time it happens you will be stoked. I have a frontrak a4 aswell and i have gotten bit by the mod bug. I almost have spent more $$ on my car than i have put miles on in one year. If i sell my exhaust would you be interested full turbo back milltek, techtonic tuning DP, and 3" labree testpipe, or i could trade you for some baseball cards

Old 11-10-2005, 03:30 AM
3rd Gear

I hate to tell you this but that feeling isnt gonna go away

Quick Reply: I might regret this in 30 years