Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I love my a4 why does it hate me?? turbo/engine prob!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 06:41 AM
1st Gear
Default I love my a4 why does it hate me?? turbo/engine prob!!

Ok Guys I really need some good advice from you!!!

My cel kept coming up so I kept taking it to my mechanic...also when I fire up the car the engine knocks loudly then settles when it warms after about 10 seconds..but returns when idle..

So they found a small hairline crack on the housing of my turbo that connects to the exhuast!!!! They told me that I would need a new turbo, but they said that it isnt affecting my motor just that it is running rich and I am using a little more gas than normal..and b/c of that my cel is going to be on at all times...

As for the knock in the engine they said it was the "lifters" and that would be costly to fix too!!! If they could even fix it!!

Basically Im looking for any suggestions..and or support from the forum to help...PLEASE>>PLEASE>>HELP!!

Thanks guys

Todd

Old 03-02-2005, 09:22 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: I love my a4 why does it hate me?? turbo/engine prob!!

When the cel comes up, what code does it throw?

How many miles on your car?

What oil are you using( syn/regular and weight)? How frequently have your changed your oil and filter?

Do you know what your oil pressure is?

Did you buy the car new, or used and how many miles did you buy it with if you purchased it second hand?

Old 03-02-2005, 06:18 PM
1st Gear

Hi David

The code it throws is the one where the engine is running too rich...I dont know the # b/c the mechanic showed it to me

I have 65000 mi on my car

I change my oil every 3000 mi and have it done at the mechanic who is certified on german autos but Im not sure the exact weight etc

Oil pressure is always normal I believe...how would I check exactly?

I bought the car used with 47000 mi on it

Thanks!

Todd

Old 03-02-2005, 06:23 PM
4th Gear

i always thought running lean would ruin ur cats....

support? KO4!!!

Edit: wierd *** typo... i meant 'rich'

Old 03-02-2005, 06:26 PM
1st Gear

I dont know about the cats... the mechanic said it shouldnt hurt my engine just burn some extra gas...is this tru about the cats??

Of course I would love to go KO4 but if my "lifters" engine is messed up...I cant put in that extra $$$ if I can fix both defenitaley...

thats why I need HELP!!

-Todd

Old 03-02-2005, 07:10 PM
2nd Gear

He's not running lean...he's running rich. You'll have to replace your turbo unfortunetely. If you do it yourself..it won't be that expensive. Sorry, no help on the lifters..I'm curious what kind of problem this is.

-T

Old 03-02-2005, 07:11 PM

make sure your mechanic is using syntec for the oil and for the filter make sure he is using the updated one VW/Audi Part # 068115561B as for the turbo if you are looking to save money i will have a used K03 available in about a month if you are interested PM me

Old 03-02-2005, 07:20 PM

but the lifter noise sounds like a sludje problem how loud is it ? is it just on cold mornings orm is it ever time you start it ?

Old 03-02-2005, 07:20 PM
1st Gear

Ya I am running rich...not lean...

So I have to replace the whole turbo?? no welding or anything else can be done..the crack is on the large pipe housing that connects..can I just find one of those?? or does it come all together??

Thanks conversion for the tip and for the K03...what shape is it in?? mileage shaft play etc?

thanks but any tips on the "lifters" ??? can I put a additive in the oil to clean them out??

-Todd

Old 03-02-2005, 07:38 PM

I haven't taken the K03 out yet but i will let you know what kind of shape it is in when I get it out it have 140 kilometers on it and I will check for play once it is out

As for the lifter noise there is a sludge problem with some of these cars and can cause a loud lifter noise check with you nearest deaer to see if this is covered

Quick Reply: I love my a4 why does it hate me?? turbo/engine prob!!