Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hate my car

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 10:52 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: I hate my car

ORIGINAL: Cameron

I'm at my wit's end with my car. For the last couple months or so, it has been hell. Control arms, ABS is shot, getting raped for 60k service, blowing the MAF and now misfiring again.

I scanned it today, got P300 - Random cylinder misfire, P301 - Cylinder 1 misfire, P303 - Cylinder 3 misfire. It idles like a harley (except sh1ttier) and rattles my fillings. I decided that based on the advice given to me in my thread about my 60k service that since its in my dad's name, and he is paying for it, he needs to get it taken care of.

I called up and made sure the coilpack recall was taken care of, and according to the dealer records (not the same dealer that did my service) it was done in 2003 @ 33k miles, thus any warranty on those parts is moot (12mo/1yr). I was about to buy all new coils and new plugs, but decided that its not worth it to me anymore.

Tonight I'm going to sit down with my dad and have a serious talk about selling it, and see if he can loan me some money to get myself in something else as soon as possible. I'm also going to explain to him that every mile I drive it can damage it, and that he needs to decide what is going to happen (get me a rental, drive my dad's car, borrow from a friend, etc.). I get paid in a week so that would help me out at least somewhat in getting another car. I would finance, but the fact is, I have no retail credit, nor do I have any money for a downpayment.

Its not really a question of if I am going to sell it or not, its how soon can I get myself in some more reliable transportation. I might have to pull out of the car scene for a while and just get something that will get me places until I can afford to buy and maintain something nice.

If anyone is reading this thinking that Audi's are bad cars, even after this, I still like Audi. Its a good company, and makes fun cars. I just don't have the patience to fix it all the time.
I feel your pain brother! I just convinced my wife to trade my car for an Acura CX or TL.

Old 07-15-2006, 01:50 AM
2nd Gear

My dad told me he can't loan me any money for a car right now (I'm asking for a 5k loan for 3-5 months) but he says he can't afford to loan me any money (he has about 300k in stocks) and since we just paid $3400 for service, he doesn't want to loan me money.

I'm gonna ask some friends tonight if they can help me out, and next week on my day off I am going to go to the bank and see if they can do anything for me. My dad might at least co-sign a bank loan for me.

Old 07-15-2006, 03:18 AM
2nd Gear

that sucks man, i'm with you, paying for service on these cars sucks!

Old 07-15-2006, 08:06 PM

You guys all need to quit crying about spending money on your cars. Did you think Audis were as cheap as Civics to fix and maintain? If you are broke, as you seem to be, you need to wake up and smell the coffee. Get out of your fathers pocket, get a cheap reliable car, work your *** off and when you finally have some money get yourself your dream car. I had friends in college who drove crazy nice cars, but couldnt afford to go out on the weekend, that is pathetic, what is the point. Now that we are all out of college, the same friends drive even nicer cars but cant afford to move away from home. I drove the same 97 civic from senior year in highschool (2000) until about a month ago when I bought my Avant. I had the thing paid off by sophomore year of college, so I was actually able to save money. We cant all live like the "Fortunate Sons" on Laguna Beach, MTV is not a reality!!!

It is all about making good decisions. I had a decent amount of money saved up to throw down on the Avant, so my monthly payments are around $220. What I want to do is lower her, throw on some RS4 replicas, Chip it, exhaust it, etc. But I live in realityville, It snows here in Mass, and this is my only car, so I aint lowering her, I have a nice fat extended factory warranty on her, so I aint chipping her. I knew I was going to have this car for a long time, so I got the Avant, so I never have to rely on other people when I need to carry something bigger than my golf clubs to help me out, and with the possibility of kids and all.....

So when the kid flies by me on the highway with his car slammed to the ground, with his huge beautiful rims, perfect exhaust note, chipped out engine and his slamming body kit sure I get jealous. But in 2 years when he cant sell it because of all of the crap he did to it, or the bottom of his car is all pitted and chipped from road debris and he has 3 of those nice rims on with one stocker because he hit a pot hole (this is Mass!) and his lack of suspension travel made his rim bend, I will be sitting pretty in my showroom condition daily driver.

Now if my funds were limitless...my my my things would be popping!

Old 07-15-2006, 09:05 PM
1st Gear

lol i totally agree with AvantGarde02.. if u cant afford to maintain an audi y try to fool urself n make urself look rich wen ur gettin owned tryin to pay off for it.. i jus got my car n im payin 15$ daily which my mom gives me for lunch on gas LMFAO.. pretty stupid but i need to find myself a job

Old 07-15-2006, 09:50 PM

im not complaining aboutteh cost just that **** keeps happening. I have the money to maintain it and to buy a new one, so im gonna buy a newer one so that i dont have to keep fixing it. Heres a shock for u, im 18 and i bought this A4 and im buying my next one to. I dont need my parents money. I dont have very many expenses other than my car and my entertainment. My parents are paying for my schooling (luckily) so im good to go and buy a newer car.

I just dont think that every week i should have a new part of my bumper hanging off.

Old 07-15-2006, 09:58 PM

Youre def. right about how you shouldnt have to buy a new part for your car every week regardless of make or model....

If my comments dont apply to you or your situation, then dont sweat it!

Bye the way, its no shocker to me that you can buy a newer Audi @ 18 yrs old, when you just said yourself that your parents pay for school, and you dont have any other expenses... HAPPY MOTORING GUY!

I just hope people realize that anything can happen in this world. The original post-er seemed upset that his father has "300K" in stocks, yet wont buy him a new Audi. Obviously he doesnt realize that if something happens to his father and he loses his ability to make money, 300K wont get you very far trying to support a family and a spoiled son.

Old 07-15-2006, 10:40 PM
1st Gear

ya im 17 n i jus got my audi.. n so far im dieing jus payin off the gas lol cuz my rents cover insurance, but w.e i cant settle for less so sometimes u jus gotta do wut u gotta do regardless of how much debt u have to pay.. but having to fix something every week is kinda annoyin and i see were ur gettin at, jus buy a S4 n u should be good to go

Old 07-15-2006, 11:45 PM
4th Gear

Agree.

As probably the oldest person here, I am amazed at the number of children who have their hands in dad's pockets to take care of things. It is nice that your dad has 300K in the stock market. That isn't a huge amount of money, but whatever the amount it is, it is his money and he can invest it or spend as much or as little of it on you as he pleases.

A piece of advice for everyone, is always buy one level lower than you can afford. If you max out on a car, or anything for that matter, you don't have any money to take care of the unexpected emergencies that always happen.

I would suggest that you purchase what you can afford to drive, maintain and repair. For someone on a limited income (eg student), I'd suggest a honda or toyota. Not sexy, but gets you where you want to go, and gets you there with some money left in your wallet to do what you want.

Old 07-16-2006, 12:27 AM

practical advice

Quick Reply: I hate my car