Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i guess im gonna be the guinea pig

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 11:37 AM
Banned
Default i guess im gonna be the guinea pig

i know alot of people before was asking about the short throw shifters on ebay. they wanted to know if they were worth buying and people always like to say u get what u pay for. well on this i dont believe bc its pure mechanics so i picked one up today and hopfully ill have it by fri when i take it to the track....i am also gettin my cams put in also. i cant wait to dyno this biotch so i can lay down the biggest powered k04-15 monster around!

Old 03-29-2005, 12:21 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: i guess im gonna be the guinea pig

hey take some pics while you are installing please.

Old 03-29-2005, 12:23 PM
3rd Gear

I know people that have installed the cheapo ebay ones and are happy with it

Old 03-29-2005, 12:29 PM
Banned

will do jest....are these shifters a pinta to install..are there any write ups bc i know these kits do not come with install instructions. thanks. hey tom do know which setting is the 41% on the kit bc it seems they are adjustable or is that just me...

Old 03-29-2005, 04:55 PM
3rd Gear

I'll ask him tonight. I tried the diy short shifter on a/w (which is garbage) and unless you got midget hands like me it will be a fiddly little install. Just make sure you have a magnet

Old 03-29-2005, 05:09 PM
Site Moderator

we did the diy short shifter on a friends 2.8 one day. Man what a PITA to get it all together. But it worked out good.

Old 03-29-2005, 05:54 PM
Banned

ya i just got done takin it apart so she'll be ready to be put in asap when it gets here....took about 20 min to take out. that adjustable black plastic piece is what makes it a pita for install other wise not to bad....but i do have a non-push down so...

Old 03-29-2005, 06:42 PM
3rd Gear

Yeah, short shifters are a huge pain in the a ss to install. There are these nuts UNDERNEATH THE CONSOLE that you can only get like a quarter of a turn with a wrench each time, and then you have to take the wrench off, reset it with two fingers, and try to turn the nut again, like 25 times for each one.
You should get a heavy-duty claw tweezer thing for putting the adjustment bolt and washer back on, if your shifter requires you to do that. Noone can reach all the way in there with just hands. And if you drop it , a mechanic's magnet is not strong enough to lift them up again.

Old 03-29-2005, 07:56 PM
4th Gear

Tom has the best advice ever, a magnet, You cant do the install with out it. Another thing, I have the b&m and they say only 30 min install,took me over a hr and i can turn a wrench also.

Old 04-01-2005, 01:00 PM
Banned

well i got it in yesterday and installed it...deff not for a non-push down bc now the slides up a little so im gonna have to tear it back apart to do somthing to make it from sliding up bc i know in a hard shift it is probally going to cause me to miss shift thus makin me grind gears. other than that its deff nice. i did have to re drill out the holes for the shifter bolt to fit though. i go the camera back so this time ill take pics sorry jest...i was just busy installin my new boost guage and brakes i just was in a hurry bc i was supposed to have my car at the shop today for the cam instal but their lift broke so now i have to wait a few weeks but good news for ya guys is that if i can make it to a good track day ill have a before and after run showin an estimate of gains on my setup. its 50% chance today so im prayin it holds out....

Quick Reply: i guess im gonna be the guinea pig