Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i dont like it when my car goes bump bump bump..

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 09:08 AM
1st Gear
Default i dont like it when my car goes bump bump bump..

Hey people how r we today... just a quick question and i know this is hard to describe on the internet but i like trying this place out before i take my car to get checked out ... just so i have a rough idea...

when i drive i notice at certain times i hear my car make a bumping noise its comming from under the car toward middle/rear... it doeesnt happen when im idle, but it happens when i turn but more when i brake or when the car changes gears, what do u guy think it could be?

its like a "DUMPE" noise if that makes sense lol

Old 11-13-2005, 11:46 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: i dont like it when my car goes bump bump bump..

Yeah that makes just about no sense at all to me. Engine mount(s)? Bushings? When the cars weight shift around like when your turning or braking that could very possiblly be a bushing problem/sway bar links/????????? Good luck on that.

Old 11-13-2005, 11:55 AM
1st Gear

the exhaust also?

Old 11-13-2005, 02:58 PM
1st Gear

First thing I would check are the bolts for the rear sway bar. Sounds like they are loose or gone on one side only. Do you feel any difference in handling in the turns from when you first got it?

It could be the sway bar bushings too. If so, that's really simple to fix. While you're at it, replace the OEM sway bar with an S4 OEM sway bar...makes the rear end stiffer and more neutral through corners, allowing you to turn the car more effeciently and it won't feel like it "plows" in the corners.

Motor mounts would "bumpe" when shifting or accelerating hard...straight line stuff.

Could also be the spring perches in the rear. If the sound were coming from the front, it could be any number if front end bushings or parts.

Old 11-14-2005, 10:43 AM
1st Gear

thanx for the reply guys, ill get a mechanic to look at it after i finish my uni exams, i was hoping i could look at it myself, any way of jumping under the car and noticing nething? or should i just get a pro to look at it, i usually do engine work and interior work neva done body work, btw ive had the engine mounts dont recently so im hoping that elimenates that, and the car handles exactly the same as before...

Old 11-14-2005, 07:32 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: rnbguy

thanx for the reply guys, ill get a mechanic to look at it after i finish my uni exams, i was hoping i could look at it myself, any way of jumping under the car and noticing nething? or should i just get a pro to look at it, i usually do engine work and interior work neva done body work, btw ive had the engine mounts dont recently so im hoping that elimenates that, and the car handles exactly the same as before...
A klunk could still be the sway bar bolts. They are easy to see. Crawl under the car from the back. Look up to the right and left and see where the sway bar (about 19mm thick - black) that connects the two sides of the rear suspension is attached. The poly bushings are about 4 ft apart in plain sight with a metal bushing harness held by two bolts each. If one bolt is out or loose, it could be your klunk.