Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HUGE PROBLEM!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 01:42 AM
1st Gear
Default HUGE PROBLEM!

I got a huge problem my Cars speedometer stopped working suddenly and the gas keeps going up and down like crazy, i dont know if its due to the fact that my friend accidentaly put 10 bucks of reg gas on it and then put 10 os super can anyone help i need help quick.

Old 11-28-2005, 01:56 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: HUGE PROBLEM!

well as wierd of a problem that is it has nothing to do with the type of gas that was put in the car, have your battery and alternator checked, all those gauges operate on principle of magnetic attraction and repultion so if you arnt getting proper charge or voltage will make the gauges flip out.

Old 11-28-2005, 01:59 AM
1st Gear

damn so it could be either one? It just stopped suddenly though like out of nowhere. Anything else u guys have for me? Could it be anything with a fuse or not please i need all the help i can get.

Old 11-28-2005, 02:29 AM
1st Gear

It happend to me and it came out to be the wiring was melted. You need a wiring diagram for that.

Old 11-28-2005, 02:33 AM
Administrator

that happened to me.. except it was all my guages acting up, and the car would die... turns out it was a really bad alternator and battery, got those switched... and bam... just like that it worked again!

Old 11-28-2005, 02:51 AM
1st Gear

yeah so how much would an alternator run me about? I should try switching the battery first no?

Old 11-28-2005, 05:05 AM
1st Gear

If its only your speedometer and your gas gauge its not the alternator. I remember it took my mechanic a couple of hours to find the messed up wire and he charged me labor only.

Old 11-28-2005, 05:19 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Aliel

If its only your speedometer and your gas gauge its not the alternator. I remember it took my mechanic a couple of hours to find the messed up wire and he charged me labor only.
please remember that it is just advice given here on this board, you should get these items tested as fore mentioned these problems can be caused from issues such as burnt wires, disconnected wires and voltage drops from corordded grounds and such, the alt and battery is just the easiest place to start, any good shop will have what is called a mini-VAT (volt-amps tester) all they have to do is hook it up to your battery and start the car it will then tell them the condition of the battery and charging system. If its all good from there break out the multi meter and wiring diagram and start checking wires and senders for contiunuity and resistance. oh yea, anything recent in the way of dash work you may have done to your car like gauge installs or stereo work or lighting anything electrical you might have done recently even if it isnt directly tied to the this problem as far as the timeline will be of great help in us helping you diagnose your problem.

Old 11-28-2005, 10:51 AM
2nd Gear

A way you could check your alternator yourself is crank the engine and disconnect the battery. If the car continues running, then your alternator should be fine. If not, you know you need a new one. Then check the battery. It should be around 14v when running and around 12v off. Good luck in finding your problem.

Old 12-02-2005, 05:50 PM
1st Gear

Actually now that you guys mentioned it i did put two piece projectors in about two months ago but did nothing to the wiring. Also I had an indash installed about a year ago so i really dont know what the problem could be. My friend also told me to check the alternator by letting it crank and disconnecting the positive and if it runs for more than a minute then the alternator is not the problem. And he also adviced me that it could be a bad ground. Thanks for all the help fellas. Let me know if you have anything else for me.

Quick Reply: HUGE PROBLEM!