Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how problematic really?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 06:41 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: how problematic really?

If you can do some work yourself or at all handy then you will be okay. I myself am not although am learning as I go along. I had about $1500 or so saved up on top of my car. I bought a Vag-Com (payed for itself already), a Bentley manual, and some new headlight bulbs. That took me down to about $1100. It's almost gone! I got recommended to a crooked mechanic (although people still swear by them) and luckily got out before they took me for $250 for a coolant temp sensor replacement and $600 for a new MAF (which would have been covered under an extended Audi warranty service call had it actually needed replacement). Thanks to the knowledgeable folks here at the board. But I still had to get the wastegate replaced, some vacuum hoses that were triggering CELs...and there was a couple hundred bucks in general diagnostic time. If I had gone to the dealership from the beginning I might have not been so screwed as their service department is one of the best in my opinion from what I have read. But I took it to a import car garage who hasn't seen many B6' s (2002-2005 A4's) because they aren't usually off warranty yet and that was my biggest mistake. However after the hoses and the wastegate were replaced I have not had a problem since. I know I'll need to change the timing belt and stuff associated in another year or so, so I have that money building up.

But will I ever buy any other car again? HELL NO! Audi for life now. Everyone I know who sits in it or drives it absolutely loves it. I love the way it looks, the way I can upgrade it, the fact that when an old man in an S4 pulls up next to you he'll put you in your place with your stock A4, the courtesy windshield wipe after you use the sprayers, the windows going up and down with the remote (thanx Jest), and a lot more. In short, get the damn Audi and enjoy it!

my planned progression 2002 A4 --> 2006/07 S4 (in 2008/09)--> whatever RS6 is current then (2012 or so) (sh*t I should get a better job!)

Old 06-20-2005, 08:13 PM
1st Gear

thanks man. i can tell you that i fell in love with audi when i sat in it and drove it too. i just am worried about not having the money to fix it if really huge problems arise. that is why i show all you guys the cars and describe the audi im going to look at so i can get some input and so on.

Old 06-20-2005, 11:02 PM
2nd Gear

Go for the Audi! If you take care of it, should be very reliable! It seems you really want the Audi, so I recomend you get it if you can. If not you'll always be looking back at what if. Better you get the car you want, then to be pissed for driving your second choice. JMO.

Old 06-20-2005, 11:07 PM
1st Gear

thanks for stating your opinion and i agree i do think i am going to get one. now comes the hard task of finding a decent one around here. been looking for about 2-3weeks, maybe im just impatient but i want it haha. btw, your audi is SICK!

Old 06-20-2005, 11:16 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks! Just be patient, you need to look around alot and compare! If you have patience you'll find a good deal. Were do you live, to see if i can help you out in some way.

Old 06-20-2005, 11:18 PM
2nd Gear

Ohhhhhhhh almost forgot! Bent told me he wanted to get rid of his B5 to get a B6. You should ask to see if he finally will get rid of it and move to the B6.

Old 06-21-2005, 03:13 AM
1st Gear

i live in jersey...where does he live?