Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how problematic really?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 11:41 PM
1st Gear
Default how problematic really?

really how bad are audi's and problems. ive been dying to get my hands on a 99-2000 audi a4 and i have been looking extensively, which im sure some of you are aware of by now. anyway my dad just told me tonight he knows this guy who deals with lexus and mercedes and he says that audi's are totally unreliable and if anything breaks (air conditioning, turbo, etc.) that it costs TONS of money to fix even if its a minor problem. im an 18 year old kid, this being my second car (my first was a 2001 acura 3.2 tl), but i will definately make sure i take care of it. i have about 14-15k to spend and im not going to get a super high mileage audi if i do. so whats the deal? is this guy right?

Old 06-20-2005, 12:47 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: how problematic really?

they are no more expensive to repair than mercedes or lexus, but they are definitely more expensive to repair than your old acura. audi's can be very reliable cars if they're properly taken care of. with the b5s (96-01) you're probably going to need new control arms eventually (usually after 100k miles)..the 2.8 V6s are more reliable than the 1.8Ts, which can have problems with oil sludge

Old 06-20-2005, 01:06 AM

Bentframe is right. If you can do some maintainence yourself, Audi's are reliable. Parts are definetely more expensive then they are for a Chevy or something, but compared to Mercedes and Lexus, I don't think they are any higher than those 2 makes.

Old 06-20-2005, 02:11 AM
5th Gear

you've probably seen this before.....but just in case...this should help you out for test drives..
ORIGINAL: bentframe

make sure the suspension is good....worn control arms will squeak, tie rod ends will clunk when you hit bumps, cv joints will click during low speed turns (if you're on the gas), open up the oil cap to look for signs of oil sludge...do the same for the power steering fluid, as well as the coolant. sometimes people top them off or refill them with regular fluids and that can cause big problems including sludge issues....test the cruise control, the switches are known to fail (typically it's an easy fix, a good way to knock a few bucks off the price ). make sure the sunroof is fully functional as well as windows (check each door's switch individually)..listen on the freeway for a humming/grinding sound for failing wheel bearings..oh, and leave the radio OFF during the test drive, test the speakers before or after driving....also consider the mileage on the timing belt, they need to be done every 60-90k miles....search the forums, there are TONS of threads on all this stuff...
if you're looking for reliability, go with the 2.8...if you want to mod, get the 1.8T

Old 06-20-2005, 02:20 AM
3rd Gear

He hardly has cash for a 2.8

Get a turbo , you will have more fun with it.

Old 06-20-2005, 02:24 AM
4th Gear

I dunno, i have my 1.8t hooked up with a bigger turbo and goods, and im still likin the idea of a s/c 2.8.

Old 06-20-2005, 04:40 AM
1st Gear

im not too great with cars, but my uncle is pretty good and my friend has an audi and does a ton of mods to it so i know he knows a lot. i mean as long as im responsible with it and i take good care of it, i should be able to get one and keep it right. its going to be my second car, if anyone REALLY thinks that its not a good idea, let me know. but i really want an audi i just love their styling inside and out and they are so fun to drive!

Old 06-20-2005, 04:49 AM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: Dave666

He hardly has cash for a 2.8

Get a turbo , you will have more fun with it.
14-15k is plenty for a 2.8...and he's also mentioned reliability, which is why i recommended the 1.8T.

volcom, look for an older, low mileage 2.8. don't spend all your money on the car, as there will undoubtedly be unexpected bills to take care of (ie. timing belt job, control arms, wheel bearings, etc) down the line.

Old 06-20-2005, 02:12 PM
1st Gear

anyone else...if i can find a nice a4 is it worth it or what?

Old 06-20-2005, 05:54 PM
1st Gear

bump...

Quick Reply: how problematic really?