Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how many bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 10:37 PM
1st Gear
Default how many bearings?

im guessing theres a wheel bearing in the hub assembly, is there also a bearing thats 'easily' replaceable where the CV shaft connects to the transmission as well?

like say if the car was making noise close to the tranny where the CV shaft goes in, but both the CV boots were good, could there be a bearing right that that i could pull out and put a new one in?

anything else that could possibly go out down there? comes around 20-30 mph, gets worse sometimes when i hit the brakes, gets worse turning left, sound alot better turning right

car is a 1996 A4 2.8 quattro 5 speed

Old 09-13-2007, 10:25 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: how many bearings?

ttt

you cant tell me noone has been down there working on their car or at least knows how things work down there

Old 09-13-2007, 10:32 AM
5th Gear

i don't think there are gear where the cv halfshaft connects to the tranny. i think there's a gear on the halfshaft and it just connects to the center differential gear. wut kind of noise are u hearin?

Old 09-13-2007, 10:34 AM

sounds like a cv joint if the sound changes when your turning. wheel bearing noise is a constant grinding sound

Old 09-13-2007, 11:00 AM
1st Gear

thanks for the replies, seems like im getting nowhere with anything else i need help on

well this is a constant grinding, like ill be going down the road and its there all the time, im not sure why it changes when im turning but it doesnt go away completely. i should say i notice this change when i turn at higher speeds, like going on a long curve. not so much like in town when im taking a right from the stop sign or whatever, it starts making alot of noise when i get up to like 20-30 mph, thats why i think its a bearing not a cv joint because if it was a cv joint i should be hearing alot of noise when i crank the wheel to take a turn at low speeds, right?

the guy i bought the car from had that cv axle replaced a few months ago, resiepts for it and everything, i was under there and i looked and both cv boots are brand new, i can squeeze them and feel the cv joints and i can tell they are still greased up just by how the boot slides when i move my fingers around. i know that still doesnt mean one of them is bad but cant tell for sure.

so i know theres a wheel bearing, but is there a bearing i can change where the cv connects to the tranny? i wanna make sure i get the problem solved in 1 shot if i can

Old 09-13-2007, 10:33 PM
1st Gear

?

Old 09-13-2007, 10:50 PM
5th Gear

no there's no bearing where the cv connects to the tranny. there's only the wheel bearing which im pretty sure is ur culprit. ecstuning has some good prices on those

Old 09-14-2007, 01:55 PM
4th Gear

Change the wheel bearing.

Front

Rear

Another front

Old 09-14-2007, 01:59 PM

yeah +1 for wheel bearing

Old 09-14-2007, 09:42 PM
1st Gear

awesome you guys, thanks so much! i really hope thats whats making that noise. i have a shop press, should be a piece of cake, ill do that and see what i come up with. thanks again!

Quick Reply: how many bearings?