Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how long can i drive with a bad wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 11:30 PM
1st Gear
Default how long can i drive with a bad wheel bearing

I just started noticing a weird noise coming from my back passenger side tire last week. From what i have read on the posts, it seems to be a bad wheel bearing. How long can i drive the car before i start to do some damage. I just talked to my mechanic tonight and he can't get me in untill April 20th.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:47 PM
Default RE: how long can i drive with a bad wheel bearing

He can't get you in for a month?? Take it somewhere else.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:20 AM
2nd Gear

Why does a garage have that long of a waiting list? Its usually because they do good work for decent prices and stand behind what they do. I had a shop like that before I moved. It was the only place I would take my car. You have to set up appointments in advance, but it was worth it to know it was done right and if ANYTHING went wrong, they would get me right back in there and fix it free of charge. My guy actually even gave his guys a hard time when I had to bring something simple back in and went on about how loyal of a customer I was. Etc etc etc.

Anywho, you have waited too long if the thing locks up on you while driving. J/K.
If you just started noticing it, let it ride man. You will be fine until April 20th. You def should have a few months before you need to worry about it being a big deal.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:27 AM
4th Gear

Drive it until the day before the wheel falls off.

Seriously, if the noise is only slight you can wait. I probably had a bad bearing for 6 months (20K miles) before the noise got loud enough for me to figure out it was a bearing, not just tire noise. If you want it done sooner, find another garage you trust.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:31 AM
1st Gear

Good one David...lol Right...guess you could drive it until the wheel falls off.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:07 PM
1st Gear

uhhh , no, not really. all this sounds like advice from people who dont understand what they do.

ORIGINAL: DavidL A4

Good one David...lol Right...guess you could drive it until the wheel falls off.