Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How far can you go with the gas light on?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 12:38 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: How far can you go with the gas light on?

the most ive done is 60miles with the light on, i got to the petrol station and it started to sputter, on that day though i got my car to go 352 miles all city drivng, now thats nerve wrecking.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:46 PM
2nd Gear

also consider this.. your pump is cooled partly by the fuel inside the tank... if u run it low... its going to suck up more trash and run hotter... im sure its not going to kill it instantly but im sure it doesnt help extend its life any..

Fuel pump $380
gasket $15
2 hours with my hands in a full gas tank...

umm i keep mine with at least a quarter....

Old 10-19-2007, 06:28 PM
3rd Gear

Sineo - HR = heart rate

1Move - give it up already, radio shack.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:25 PM
1st Gear

I try to avoid letting it drop into red. I went down to ware it said 20miles left two days ago only to find it wasnt bs'ing me at all. Put 16.7gallons in the bloody tank lol. Red means red get your a%% to a gas station.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:26 AM
adm
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Lazer Viking

the fuel gauge is a joke, it would indicate that the car looses mpg, after half tank
oh and i often park my car and find myself missing a 1/4 tank
If the pic in your sig is your home driveway... you're parking on a slope. As previously pointed out many Audi's use a float, so it'll only be accurate when the car is level. -- They typically when a float is used they put a delay in the gauge so you don't see notice the gauge go up/down as you drive up/down hill.

As an anecdote, my '87 used a float that after 15 years or do developed a small hole in the bulb. So the float would slowly fill up with fuel. If I ran the tank below 1/4 it would start to drain and work for a few days after filling up the tank. Then the float would fill up again and sink to the bottom.

ORIGINAL: Trey25

Yea but bogie's way was easier and I know for sure how far I can go after the gas light goes on, not just a calculated estimate. It is bad for the fuel pump but only if done repeatedly.
The one time I ran my '03 until engine shutoff and it felt to me like the computer shut the engine off rather than the typical surges and sputters a car gets as the last of the fuel sloshes around in the tank.

The part that is the worst for the fuel pump is the pump running dry. So if the computer did actually shut me down that problem may be avoided in the newer Audi's. To be safe though, I still primed the pump and the lines a few times by turning on the ignition for a few seconds (not hitting the starter) turning it back of (and repeat) before starting up the car.

I'm not a fluid dynamics engineer, so I may have some terms wrong, but there are some basic physics to why running low on gas is bad for the pump. When the tank is full gravity creates a head pressure at the pump. The fuel above the pump is "pushing" down on the pump, which is at the bottom of the tank, and helping push the fuel (to some degree) through the lines. As the level of fuel in the tank goes down the head pressure at the pump goes down. To maintain a constant flow (constant gpm and constant psi) physics deem the pump will have to work harder.

However, fuel pumps generally only have two settings: on and off. So when the tank is full the pump delivers the maximum amount of flow, and the flow decreases as the stress on the pump increases. In theory, at any given point the pump is delivering more fuel than the engine can consume; the excess is returned to the tank. As a side note, this is why cars with the stock fuel pump typically seem to have more zip when the tank is full, there is a noticeable difference in the pressure in the fuel lines.

The point is, that increased stress isn't generally good for mechanical devices. Don't get me wrong, the fuel pump is designed to work at all levels of fuel commonly expected in the tank. However, all things being equal, the increased stress of running the tank near empty will have a cumulative effect and may decrease the life of the pump.

Running a modern fuel pump dry isn't nearly as devastating (as mentioned earlier) as running the diaphragm (manual) fuel pumps dry. But think of it this way. The pump is a motor, and like any motor it is designed to run with a certain range of stress (load) on it. When the pump runs dry you remove just about all of the load as the impeller spins free. You wouldn't rev your engine to 6K in neutral and just keep it there for 5 minutes would you? The analogy isn't very good as there are _many_ different factors at work, but the idea is the same.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Bogie

Sineo - HR = heart rate

1Move - give it up already, radio shack.
Ummm....the pic in your signature (i.e. your boost gauge) SCREAMS Radio Shack, so be careful what you say!

Old 11-09-2007, 07:49 AM

Remind me never 2 buy a car from u guys cause i know the first thing i'll be replacing.lol

Old 11-09-2007, 10:56 AM
1st Gear

i usually run mine down to just uner the 1/8 mark cause im a teenager and i dont have alot of money lol but i noticed if i let the car sit in a perfectly level place ill leave the car and come back with more or less gas then when i started then once i drive it a lil it goes back same thing when i fill it itll go wayy past how much i put in the go back down

Old 11-09-2007, 11:08 AM
3rd Gear

I drove about 25 miles with 0 miles left the other night. Not my finest moment, but there just weren't any gas stations around. I won't be trying to repeat the experiment, but it's good to know. I personally think the Audi ran on love for the last 15 miles or so...it loves me so much that it didn't want to leave little ol' me stranded on an empty Texas highway at 4:30 in the morning. It's a theory.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:01 PM

I don't let my cars and try and not let my bike go below a quarter of a tank. .02

Quick Reply: How far can you go with the gas light on?