Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How far can you go with the gas light on?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 01:23 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: How far can you go with the gas light on?

interesting, reminds me of me and my friend coming back from san diego, we were a little under half tank and i was scared we werent going to make it. but we barely made it, i had no more cash on me so we filled up with all the nickles dimes quarters all we had, but we made it. i need to read my owners manual. hahaha.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:24 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Trey25

Yea but bogie's way was easier and I know for sure how far I can go after the gas light goes on, not just a calculated estimate. It is bad for the fuel pump but only if done repeatedly.

the fuel gauge is a joke, it would indicate that the car looses mpg, after half tank
oh and i often park my car and find myself missing a 1/4 tank
Yea it is. Audi used a crappy float mechanism with weak connections. After half a tank the gauge just drops and I haven't even gone two miles. I don't even pay attention to it anymore.

i get 150 mi+, but my warning light usually comes on just under 1/2 tank. then it goeas off when i restart. then on, then off, then 1/2 tank, then 1/8 tank. just never go below 1/2 tank now. no yellow. good.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:33 AM
3rd Gear

off topic- i hate it when someone asks me for money for gas at a gas station to get like 2 towns over to get home. pisses me off that they don't use the cell phone in thier other hand to call a friend or family member to come down with 5 bucks for gas, and that they dont carry the plastic i'll never understand.and according to thepolls in this post, they probablycouldget home on the gas they had in the tank. who's lucky enough to run out in agas station parking lot anyway?

Old 10-19-2007, 01:36 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Bogie

off topic- i hate it when someone asks me for money for gas at a gas station to get like 2 towns over to get home. pisses me off that they don't use the cell phone in thier other hand to call a friend or family member to come down with 5 bucks for gas, and that they dont carry the plastic i'll never understand. and according to the polls in this post, they probably could get home on the gas they had in the tank. who's lucky enough to run out in a gas station parking lot anyway?
crackwhore

Old 10-19-2007, 01:45 AM
3rd Gear

probably was. happened 3 times this year. people are dumb or they are crackwhores. right-on.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:40 AM

This reminds me of that one Seinfeld episode with Kramer testing the limits while test driving a Saab(?) Anyway, whenever you drive with that light on, your HR starts to increase a little.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:22 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: bigdig712

This reminds me of that one Seinfeld episode with Kramer testing the limits while test driving a Saab(?) Anyway, whenever you drive with that light on, your HR starts to increase a little.
HR?

Old 10-19-2007, 10:27 AM
1st Gear

Well, the key thing is that on A4s the gas warning light comes on at 1/8thof atank. That's pretty early I would say ... atleast 2 or more gallons are left, cause every refill are about 16 gallons for my car. I regularly drive 50-55 highway miles after the light comes on - about 35-40 in the city. On one occasion, I drove 16 miles on the highway even after the computer said 0 miles left. So I would say, the reserve is pretty good. Though I would not recommend testing it to the limit [8D]

My only concern is whether emptying (or almost) the tank has any implications on engine performance or tank corrosion. Once I read somewhere that in winters, one should refill when you have atleast1/4th left. But I can't remember the reason for that. Anyone knows?

Old 10-19-2007, 10:34 AM
4th Gear

look in your manual for the tank's capacity and then use your avg mpg to give you an idea of what remains, given you have traveled a certain number of miles after a fill up. Once you set a base line, you can use the avg mpg to figure if you are above that consumption rate or below it and then have a pretty strong indication of what you have left. Many models have had fuel gage issues but only one had a recall that I am aware of (A6 certain engine and year) so if you think it is off, don't take a chance. I ran out of gas with 80 miles left on my gage....once.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:42 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Bogie

I didn't say he wouldn't mess up his car 1move. Actually,I said it's probably a bad idea for the pump, if you read the whole post.
Your ideamight work too, assuming you can trust the published tank capacity, which i wouldn't trust to be too accurate to more than aquart at most. + or - onequart could be about6-7miles offeither way. Youdidn't factor in all things in your equation either, einstein. The gas light might come on at different volumes of petro in tankdepending on if the car ispositioned up hill, down hill, or level. I never needed to pull out a fuel sender on an Audi, so i'm not sure. Also depends on if he's driving backroads or highway what mpg he gets, and how far he can go once the light comes on.
Again,didn't say it wouldn'tmess up the car.
SayI'm dumb again and you'llget anE-*** Whoopin'boy.
Okay, Genious! How do you supose your idea works? You didnt factor in a hell of a lot of things either. For example so you get the light to come on and you drive to empy with the odometer on, How far do you get? once again you tried correcting me by saying "depending on if the car ispositioned up hill, down hill, or level" are you driving up hill? down hill? highway? urban? it all depends how far you will go when the light turns on. Maybe you hit a set of like 20 red lights in the city what good does the odometer do? same thing as for my calculation idea there are pro's and con's to both so please dont try to sound smarter and than also threaten over the internet. I read your post and also said it is a really bad Idea in mine as you did in yours! I said the idea was really dumb and that you shouldnt do it. If he does it your way it might damage the pump, and still not get anywhere close to the answer depending on where they drive, highway might go longer city is gonna go shorter either way you will never get the same answer, only an average, which you can narrow down with multiple tests. In order to do multiple tests in your case you **** up the pump in mine you dont! Do it a few times and get the average and there is your answer!

Quick Reply: How far can you go with the gas light on?