Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How far can you go with the gas light on?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 10:48 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: How far can you go with the gas light on?

OKAY! on most cars, the LOW FUEL light genrally means you have ab out 2gallons of fuel left. some a little more, some a little less. When i drive, i ASSUMR it means that i have 1.5 gallone of fuel left to be safe. which equates to around 30 miles to go before im boned. BUT i have gone to and form school (when i was in highschool) with reserve light which is 21 miles each way. so use your fuel consumption to figure that out. i avreage about 21 mpg on normal driving. when im no low fuel, i get like 23-25 becuase i drive more cautious

quoting agaon some random AF guy

all in ^^ may be efed up due to MISTAH F.A.B. CONDERT drunkkkkkkk

Old 10-18-2007, 10:53 PM
5th Gear

i made it about 80 miles from the time the light first went on. i missed a rest stop on the turnpike and there wasn't another one for 40 miles. when i passed the stop i was on E. drafted a big rig half the way and made it. then another time i was on E but i made it to my friends house a couple miles away then back to mine, and then to the beach (another couple miles) and then back to my house and got gas by my house. i've never run out of gas tho. and you really dont want to run out of gas

Old 10-18-2007, 11:25 PM
adm
1st Gear

I've had the 1.8T and now I drive a 2.0T. They seemed to be pretty similar, but all the numbers I mention are for my 2.0T.

The gas light comes on at 1/8th a tank. The reserve the manual talks about starts when the light comes on.

Of course the number of miles you can drive greatly depends on your driving style and the split between city/highway miles.

I once got over just over 100 miles with the light on while I was on my way home from a road trip. I made it home, but forgot to get gas the next morning and ran it dry on the way to work. Whoops. At least that's the only time I've ever ran out of gas.

My B7 has a 16.6 Gallon tank, so that means just under 2.1 gallons of reserve. My MPG normally floats around 23 in the city, so I should be able to go 47.7 miles with the light on.

Several times I have driven over 10 miles with the computer saying "0 mi." Perhaps I cut it too close, but I like to break 400 miles on a tank of gas, it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. I have put 16.75 gallons in my 16.6 gallon tank (according to the manual) on more than one occasion. So either the pumps are ripping me off, or there is more than 16.6 usable gallons in your system when you completely top it off.

And to think, I never let the tank get below half in any other car I've owned.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:28 PM
1st Gear

you can go for miles and miles aftter the light goes on and for that matter after the trip computer says 0. its not a good idea to let it go extremly low however. its bad for your fuel pump.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:51 PM
4th Gear

The gas light goes on usually high on A4s but typically theres always 1-2gallons of reserve fuel after the needle gets to E. Its a fail safe so you don't run out of gas, all manufactures do it. The miles to empty display is merely an estimate guess, don't believe it. When I first got my car I drove it to complete engine shutoff, yes I know thats bad for the car, just to see how far it would go after the gas light went on. I got almost 58 city miles.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:01 AM
3rd Gear

im a test engineer. so i would tell you to test it for yourself. dont be dumb. put a little gas in one of those red plastic tanks and keep it in your car with you jsut for this test. once the gas light comes on, hit the trip odometer reset. then drive around like cramer did on seinfeld with no gas in the rental car and see for yourself. you'llfind out and you wont get stuckcause you have brought moregas with you.
i just think its a bad idea for the fuel pump.
at leastits notan old car with a manual fuel pump like in a small blockchevy. you could burn out a starter jsut trying to get the gas pumped from thetank to the carb. haha.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:08 AM
4th Gear

the fuel gauge is a joke, it would indicate that the car looses mpg, after half tank
oh and i often park my car and find myself missing a 1/4 tank

Old 10-19-2007, 12:23 AM
1st Gear

K well Bogie's idea is dumb, no offence bogie but you can mess up your car that way if your really want to find out, find the capacity of your tank in gallons liters or whatever one you want. Once you have the capacity lets say its 60 liters per tank, so that means 60 liters fit in your tank no more no less really its minor. So next time you run low on gas go to the pump and fill up and see how many liters/gallons fit in there, so lets say 52 liters fit which means you got 8 liters left in the tank, than you go to your average odometer reading for fuel consumption and it says somethin like 13.5L/ 100km you take that 100km devide it by your average or 13.5L you get 7.407 km/L so if you got 8 leters left in your tank you know you can go 8 times 7.407 = 59km's done deal. but you have to fill up as soon as the light comes on to exactly see how much is left..... and yes I am an engineer too

Old 10-19-2007, 12:42 AM
4th Gear

Yea but bogie's way was easier and I know for sure how far I can go after the gas light goes on, not just a calculated estimate. It is bad for the fuel pump but only if done repeatedly.

the fuel gauge is a joke, it would indicate that the car looses mpg, after half tank
oh and i often park my car and find myself missing a 1/4 tank
Yea it is. Audi used a crappy float mechanism with weak connections. After half a tank the gauge just drops and I haven't even gone two miles. I don't even pay attention to it anymore.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:49 AM
3rd Gear

I didn't say he wouldn't mess up his car 1move. Actually,I said it's probably a bad idea for the pump, if you read the whole post.
Your ideamight work too, assuming you can trust the published tank capacity, which i wouldn't trust to be too accurate to more than aquart at most. + or - onequart could be about6-7miles offeither way. Youdidn't factor in all things in your equation either, einstein. The gas light might come on at different volumes of petro in tankdepending on if the car ispositioned up hill, down hill, or level. I never needed to pull out a fuel sender on an Audi, so i'm not sure. Also depends on if he's driving backroads or highway what mpg he gets, and how far he can go once the light comes on.
Again,didn't say it wouldn'tmess up the car.
SayI'm dumb again and you'llget anE-*** Whoopin'boy.

Quick Reply: How far can you go with the gas light on?