Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you lauch an A4 correctly?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 10:46 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: How do you lauch an A4 correctly?

Awd/turbo cars are by far the hardest to launch
I agree, I have driven many different cars, and awd turbo is by far the hardest to launch. My dads 2.8 quattro is a little easier but still muchy harder than the fwd audi's i've driven...they were both a6's though.

Old 06-26-2005, 11:30 PM
5th Gear

I guess it depends on how much power you have. Launching my Z28 is harder than launching my a4. Tire spin isnt as much of a problem on an a4... well, not for most of us So its just a matter of not bogging down... as for your clutch, well, awd cars eat clutches, no big deal. Other cars eat tires... a clutch is worth about the same as a good set of tires.

Old 06-26-2005, 11:35 PM
3rd Gear

Actually I think the reason why there is debate is because the stock clutch wears very fast. And if its worn a little, there will be no tire spin, and no bogging, but the clutch will heat up to fast and get glazed making it impossible to launch properly. Thats what my problem was on the stock clutch. If the clutch was good it does make it very easy to launch because you just let it slip a little. I just think its harder to launch because its easy with fwd where you get a little wheel spin/chirp and its farely easy to gauge where you need the throttle in order to keep max traction, where as quattro, you are either bogging, or slipping the clutch...unlss you make big power, then things change a little

Old 06-26-2005, 11:52 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: TomRitt
I just think its harder to launch because its easy with fwd where you get a little wheel spin/chirp and its farely easy to gauge where you need the throttle in order to keep max traction, where as quattro, you are either bogging, or slipping the clutch...unlss you make big power, then things change a little
Yep, i either bogg out, spin to the point i have to let off, slip the clutch. Quattro you dont spin unless your making serious power like you are. I seriously have driven many AWD cars and have found it way easier than a fwd car with some power. It might just be me. I remember reading a few posts about the fwd - quattro launch topic on audiworld and some say fwd is harder and some dont.

Old 06-27-2005, 04:24 AM

i have driven a 350 hp mustang rwd and that is way easier to launch than my 2.8. Quattro will kill u clutch before it will spin ur wheels. This makes it ahrder to launch.

Old 08-14-2005, 04:44 AM
1st Gear

Yeah, im having this same problem and i was thinking it is because that my clutch is worn and that i need a new one.

Im taking my car into the shop (where i know the owner) and having it checked out before i go down to college in 2 weeks. If im getting my clutch replaced, how much more is an aftermarket clutch than a new stock clutch? could i get one for about the same price that wont do the stupid thing?

If my clutch is worn out does it do the weird thing easier? If i got a new stock clutch would it help the problem at all?

My A4 1.8 t is chipped, but its pretty pointless if i cant launch. Any ideas?

-Chris

Old 08-14-2005, 04:48 AM

yes it wont be too much more depnding where u get it. I dont think teh install would change at all. I would go with teh RS4 cause u could launch it but still be a decent daily driver., I ahd a rcae clutch in my stang and it was a little hard to press on. I really got some muscle from using it.

Old 08-14-2005, 04:51 AM
1st Gear

So would i just tell my mechanic that my clutch is a goner and that i want him to replace it with an RS4 clutch?

How much do thoes usually cost?

That would make me extremely happy because i got this car so i could have a fun fast car but it isnt very fun when its doing this....

Old 08-14-2005, 05:45 AM

http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shar...n&IL=clutchkit

Old 08-14-2005, 06:17 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: trailboss

Yea, id say 3k-3.4k and almost drop it. Don't just let go of the clutch but let it out fairly fast. Also, if you bogg out at too low of a launch try to launch it at a higher rpm. The key to a good quarter mile if the first 60'. If your 60ft is good, ~2.0 your quarter time will be fairly decent depending if you dont miss any shifts. Quattro is fairly easy to launch once you learn how, a hell of alot easier than fwd. I have frontrak and it is hard as crap to launch without spinnig or bogging out.

I've raced fwd cars almost all my life. They are extremely easy to launch.

I was driving out one night and was alone so I practiced five launches. I'd say 3-3.5 is the right rpm to launch at. But don't dump the clutch or you'll stall. You have to let it go slowly. ONce you feel yourself moving you can let it go.

Quick Reply: How do you lauch an A4 correctly?