Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you lauch an A4 correctly?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 07:05 PM
Default How do you lauch an A4 correctly?

Im going to start hitting up Infineon for their Weds night drags and I want to get the best possible quarter mile time.
My problem is I have no idea how to correctly launch my car. One time, which will forever freak me out about AWD,
I tried to race my buddy who had a GTI. At the light, we both dumped the clutch... while his car skirted away, my car
was not moving but in 3000 RPMS and smelling like burnt cooking oil (I think I scored my flywheel with that stupid stunt).

Anyways, I want to know how to get the best possible start with my car. I know I am supposed to ease it into
1st but I need more information. Im sure there are topics on this but I am a lazy bastard. Thanks!!!

Old 06-26-2005, 07:09 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: How do you lauch an A4 correctly?

Launching these cars is a bitch, no other way to say it. Since your on the stock clutch, rev to about 2700k to 3k and let it pretty agressive, not dumping it, but faily fast. With a after market one, heck, rev to whatever u feel like and let it fast and floor the gas.

Old 06-26-2005, 07:16 PM

yea u cant really launch these with a stock clutch, what i do is do a normal satrt just as fast as i can (not haveing it reved and then pounding the gas. It will work for street racing but i doubt it good if ur getting timed. If u want to do this alot buy a new clutch

Old 06-26-2005, 07:20 PM
2nd Gear

Yea, id say 3k-3.4k and almost drop it. Don't just let go of the clutch but let it out fairly fast. Also, if you bogg out at too low of a launch try to launch it at a higher rpm. The key to a good quarter mile if the first 60'. If your 60ft is good, ~2.0 your quarter time will be fairly decent depending if you dont miss any shifts. Quattro is fairly easy to launch once you learn how, a hell of alot easier than fwd. I have frontrak and it is hard as crap to launch without spinnig or bogging out.

Old 06-26-2005, 07:24 PM
4th Gear

Quattro isnt even comparable to launching a frontrack, quattro are alot harder.

Old 06-26-2005, 07:46 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: audiboy1618
What, your crazy.
1st off you probablly have never driven a frontrak and have no clue. I have drivven two of my friends quattro A4s, along wit my friends modded STI that spins if you launch it wrong, and it is a breeze compared to my car.
Let me ask you, do you spin if you let the clutch out to fast, when i mean spin, you have to let off the gas to regain traction and then go again. And im sure you bogg out, but with quattro you can just take it to a higher RPM and launch it and not bogg out. Anything above 3k on my car and i spin. Hell, from a roll in first gear i start spinnig at 4.5k, just from a roll.

Old 06-26-2005, 07:46 PM
5th Gear

I've been driving AWD for a few years, and my TSi was my learning grounds... I could spin all 4 wheels in it fairly easily, so learning how to launch was a big deal. You can launch fine on our stock clutch, provided your not at 300 hp But yes, take the revs up to around 4K, and like was said before, let the clutch out "fairly" quickly, but here's the key, add gas as you do so... you should have your gas to the floor fairly quickly, and the clutch all the way out. then its up to you to shift. If your just K03 or K04, tire spin should be fairly easy to control... it was on my talon, which I'm sure spun its tires easier than a k04 a4.

Old 06-26-2005, 08:15 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: trailboss

ORIGINAL: audiboy1618
What, your crazy.
1st off you probablly have never driven a frontrak and have no clue. I have drivven two of my friends quattro A4s, along wit my friends modded STI that spins if you launch it wrong, and it is a breeze compared to my car.
Let me ask you, do you spin if you let the clutch out to fast, when i mean spin, you have to let off the gas to regain traction and then go again. And im sure you bogg out, but with quattro you can just take it to a higher RPM and launch it and not bogg out. Anything above 3k on my car and i spin. Hell, from a roll in first gear i start spinnig at 4.5k, just from a roll.

Yeah, your right, i have never drivin a frontrack,hmmm.... Awd/turbo cars are by far the hardest to launch,talk to mike on the zine, who is running 12s, has said it himself. Im not going to sit here and try and explain it you why, if its your opinion, then thats fine.

Old 06-26-2005, 08:30 PM

I would be thinking AWD is harder because you have a chance to seriously mess up your clutch with AWD. With FWD, you just spin the wheels, with AWD... you smoke your clutch.

Seriously... thanks to everyone, that helps me out alot. I plan on getting the APR Stage III at one point so a new clutch will be fitted... for now I have to deal with the stock one.

Old 06-26-2005, 10:43 PM
3rd Gear

Awd/turbo cars are by far the hardest to launch
I agree, I have driven many different cars, and awd turbo is by far the hardest to launch. My dads 2.8 quattro is a little easier but still muchy harder than the fwd audi's i've driven...they were both a6's though.

Quick Reply: How do you lauch an A4 correctly?