Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do you get to the speakers and instaling head unit

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 04:58 AM
1st Gear
Default how do you get to the speakers and instaling head unit

i am going to put in a some new speakers and head unit in my 98' audi a4. it doesnt have the bose so i hear its alot easier to do. i was told my my local shop to have someone put my head unit in for me b/c its rather difficult being that i have to special order the wiring harness? does that sound right? or should i find one online and put it in myself? i can read directions if needed , but i just dont want to mess it up.

also what is the easiest way to access the speakers in the car i see it has tweeters and midrange in the front and i'm not sure what all it has in the back yet i havent checked. but is there an easy way to access them ... and would it be to hard to put some 6x9s in the car anywhere? i currently have some real nice 6x9's and i would like to see them in the car just to add some base b/c the 6.5's dont put out, and i dont want to buy a sub ... i'm on a budget

thanks alot !

Old 08-08-2005, 05:06 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: how do you get to the speakers and instaling head unit

Honestly, the best way to go about it is to just pay someone to do it. That way, if something doesn't work you can make them redo it. It's very worth it in the end, because electronics is a huge pain.

Old 08-08-2005, 01:36 PM
1st Gear

yeah i think i'm going to have someone put in the head unit b/c that seemed like a big mess if i did somthing wrong . but for the speakers i think i will do it myself if i can figure how to get at them. thanks

Old 08-08-2005, 02:21 PM

i tried to put my headunit in and wasnt fun. ended up payign someone but the rear speakers are easy to put it. just pop off those hook things un bolt it and lift up and out. as for the fronts id pay someone to do that bc id put money on it that u will end up brakin a tab bc those things are on there good

Old 08-08-2005, 03:10 PM
1st Gear

for the love of god do not put 6x9s in. the amount of modification required = not fun...the end result is not worth it. a 6x9 does not produce as high quality of a signal as any round speaker could produce. it's a fact that sound is less prone to distort when produced by a round cone vs an oval or other shape cone. interior speakers are not designed to produce bass, only mid-bass. it is just not possible to easily duplicate the sound/effect of a sub by using interior speakers. go drop like $200 on the audiobahn bass tube (amp, 10" sub in bass tube, and all wiring needed) at a circuit city and that'll hold you over at the very least.

Old 08-08-2005, 04:06 PM
1st Gear

yes u will need speakers harness infact 2 of them and also u will need a kit that will fit the radio. you will need to order the kit from metra. with the 6x9's unless you have 6x9s wholes, have fun making them fit. i work @ circuit city doing car installs, i have done audi's before. i dont' remember if the back are 6x9s or not. its been a while since i have done one. if you have other questions u can reach me on here.

Old 08-08-2005, 06:54 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: JinCho

yes u will need speakers harness infact 2 of them and also u will need a kit that will fit the radio. you will need to order the kit from metra. with the 6x9's unless you have 6x9s wholes, have fun making them fit. i work @ circuit city doing car installs, i have done audi's before. i dont' remember if the back are 6x9s or not. its been a while since i have done one. if you have other questions u can reach me on here.
heh, you too? i work for a circuit city in illinois...the rears are a 6.5" and the dash kit should be a 99-9100

Old 08-09-2005, 04:09 AM
1st Gear

ok thanks alot ... i think i'll have the local audi shop install the head unit then ... and possibly the front doors if it really is that hard .... yeah i'm going to try and sell the 6x9's and another pair of 6.5's i have and put them towards a sub ...

should i go bass tube or one 12 inch ... i have a 4x60 rms kicker amp already that i use to run my midrange but i could leave the headunit to do that and then use the amp for the sub .... any sugestions for best sub for the money .... i was thinking alpine or infinity .... also can you run a amp that leads to the sub off of the stock head unit ... i have the base head unit not the bose .... and does anyone know what the stock head unit puts out for wattage like 4x? rms ... or should i just replace it with a new headunit ....