Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you detach and reattach lower door moulding?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 11:03 AM
Default How do you detach and reattach lower door moulding?

Hey everybody,

I noticed that my front passenger side lower door moulding became partially detached. I found a white clip near the door so I assume that it (moulding) got caught on something when the door was shut. My question is how do you detach the lower moulding and then reattach it so that it becomes flush with the door (like its supposed to be).

Thanks for your assistance!!!

yvt

B

Old 01-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Default RE: How do you detach and reattach lower door moulding?

BTW

I have a 2000 A4 1.8T

Thanks!!!
B

Old 01-10-2006, 11:13 AM
2nd Gear

hey when you open the door and at the bottom in the front by the hinges there is a small screw that need to be unscrewed then you kind of slide and pry?? just work at it if it snapped off that easy it might be old and the steel insert might be corroding and you many need to buy a new one. there 30$ from ECStuning

Old 01-10-2006, 01:12 PM
2nd Gear

If you live in the salt belt, the screws will be frozen into the moulding. I had to use a side cutters and cut the front piece of the moulding off, then cut it down to the nut so i could cut the bolt. After that, it just slides free of the platic clips. When you put the new one on, use a little antiseize lube on the screw so you can get it off in the future.

Old 01-10-2006, 01:29 PM

Thanks for the tips guys!

I'll give it a try this evening. Just one question... Do I slide the moulding forward or backwards before I can pry it off?

Thanks and have a good one!!!

yvt

B

Old 01-10-2006, 01:35 PM
2nd Gear

If i remember right i think it slides back to get it off, but you will not have to use much force to free it. If you break off a plastic clip, just go to the dealer to get a new one before putting it back together, they are cheap.

Old 01-10-2006, 01:53 PM

I'll give it a whirl....

Thank you!!!

B

Old 01-10-2006, 02:19 PM

let me know which ones you need you are in the Toronto area right the fronts retail for 45 each and the rears retail for 35 each and I can give you 20% off of that

Old 01-10-2006, 11:34 PM

thanks guys!!!

I am quite ashamed of what I tried to do to fix this issue. I tried to glue the clip to the moulding while the clip was attached to the door. To no surprise it didn't work. Prior to that, I had difficulty removing the screw that fastened the moulding to the door (by te hinges), but that didn't work as it appears to be stripped. Now I found that the tip of the moulding (closest to the passenger door broke off).

The moulding was painted by the previous owner including the lowers (anything that was black was painted yellow). Unfortunately, one can tell that the yellow was not a true match to the rest of the body.

Now I'm faced with a dilema all of which will involve some professional involvement. I definitely have to get this moulding fixed as it sickens me to see it every time i walk by the passenger side.

Do I go to the dealer or do I pay a body shop to repair/replace this moulding. I would assume that only the dealer would have the correct colour but then there is the oxidation and fading issue due to exposure to the sun.

clconversion, would you happen to know how much it would cost to repair this thing?

Any help would be appreciated. If worse comes to worse, I will have to get the moulding replaced and then have the entire car repainted.

Have a good one!!! I'm soooooo ashamed!

B

btw,

thanks for the discount offer! I may be in the shwa next week to pick one up.

thanks

b

Old 06-03-2006, 09:12 PM

Hey,
Anybody know how to find the screw that holds on that lower door molding. I just ordered a set of moldings from ECS Tuning and the #$%%$#! things came without the screws. The originals are rotted not salvageable.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: How do you detach and reattach lower door moulding?