Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Do u know it is the starter???

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 10:41 PM
Default How Do u know it is the starter???

Ok in the past u guys have helped me alot and i really appreciate it. well like i posted a few days ago about water getting in my car, I called the company that i deal with for my warranty because the dealerwere I bought my car only offers third party warranty. So they told me to take my car to PepBoys and those guys could not tell me what is wrong with my car. Well Maybe You guys can help me. How would i know if it is the starter, battery, or the alternator. To start out I have a JL Audio system in my car. And aftermarketClifford Alarm. Well My car will not start unless Iuse my Booster pac which i bought that day i went to PepBoys. Well it will drive all day long as long as I do not shut the caroff. Once I shut the car right after i am driving it will start the car but if leave my car for about 1/2 hour it will not. I checked all the wiring for the amps and radio nothing it is all good.i also have a stinger capacitor andthe voltage reads 13-14 volts so i have no idea what the hellis going on. Pepboys told me the Batteryis at 80% and the alternator seems like it is good. Since some of you guys have more experince with car than me can someone please tell me what is wrong with my car. ohh and i checked all the fuses.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:44 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: How Do u know it is the starter???

Its your battery.Pep Boys is never the answer unless you need tires or chrome windshield wipers.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Well, I doubt it is the starter. Sounds to me like maybe you have a voltage drain somewhere in the car, something that's sapping power. Your car's alternator is charging the battery fine, so when you shut it off and then fire it right back up soon after, there's still plenty of juice in the battery to start the car. But if you leave it there for awhile, whatever is draining the battery is sucking it down enough that you can't restart the car without a boost.

Here's what you do. Disconnect the negative battery terminal and put a light bulb between it and the negative cable. Just take any bulb and solder a wire onto each lug and tie them off around the terminal and the cable end. When it's connected you'll see the light bulb on, since you've just put a light bulb into the current circuit of the car. Now, pull fuses one by one and check the bulb each time. If you pull one and the bulb stays on, then that circuit of the car is OK. If you pull one and the bulb goes out, you've now broken the circuit that is still drawing power, and you've found the source of your voltage drain. From there, you'll have to troubleshoot your car, but at least that way you have narrowed down the area of the car that is giving you problems.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:00 PM
Site Moderator

Its your battery. Nothing 12v operated is going to drain a battery in a half hour. Your symptoms are classic for a dead battery. Mine did the same 2 weeks ago when it went bad.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:01 PM
5th Gear

that's a nice trick jeremy.
fcamargo6thave: it's definitely ur battery like onepoint8tee. i've personally seen ur symptoms and a new battery solved the problem. also when u buy a new battery make sure it's the highest amperage and a direct fit. it will cost more for the dirct fit but its' worth it

Old 10-14-2007, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Yep, that little trick can work just fine. I agree that it probably IS the battery, but never hurts to spread a little more info that may come in handy. As for the battery, take readings with a meter. If you're below 11.5 volts or so when the car is off, deep six the battery and get a new one.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:06 PM
Administrator

By the way, I should finally have my air compresser pretty soon, so next time we should be able to get all the way through the work on your car lol

Old 10-14-2007, 11:08 PM
5th Gear

nice bro. and sry for thread jacking a little bit fcamargo6thave lol

Old 10-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Heheh, yep - and I doubt it's really threadjacking - his questions were addressed in there first

Old 10-14-2007, 11:23 PM

That is not a problem guys lol Jeremy the installer that did my system tried that little trick with a fuse tester lol but we did not check the fuses like u suggested. Well anyway i will have to buy an optima battery how much cranking power should it have??? In my other threads I mentioned that my comfort control module got wet could that be causing a short or could my alarm cause it to short because he had to install some wire to the confort control module in order to get it done. Well im going to wait until I recive my module replace see what happens and this time i am going to clean the pleanum lol like u guys said. lol the side where my car got flooded it was full of leaves and dirt sludge havent cleaned it yet but i was surprised that this can happen to audi's. A little dirt caused me a big headache. i want to trade my car in but i still got faith in it so if i resolve these two problems i will keep it lol. i love my car haha

Quick Reply: How Do u know it is the starter???