Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I check to see if my timing is correct?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 05:27 AM
1st Gear
Default How do I check to see if my timing is correct?

How do I check to see if my timing is correct? The timing belt has been replace before I brought it. The reason I ask is, my car has a hard time starting. It takes at lease 3 tries before it will start. And I have a check engine code P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor Check Range / Performance. I search and asked every where and nobody knows why. I even replace the camshaft sensor and that didn't work. I went to a few shops and 2 of them told me it could be that the timing is off. The other thing is with out boots the car is really really slow. No power at all. So I guess the timing might be off, just a guess. The shops told me that my timing could just be off by alittle bit thats why my car doesn't start on the first try.

So does any one know a site where it will walk me through on how to check if the timing is correct. Or any one that can tell me how.

Thanks
2001 Avant 1.8t

Old 09-23-2005, 11:55 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: How do I check to see if my timing is correct?

The tensioner could be weak, allowing variations in TDC for the crank and cam.

Old 09-24-2005, 09:16 AM
4th Gear

Timing can be checked with a vagcom

Old 09-24-2005, 09:05 PM

what block bc i have the same year and same freakin problem. i just had my car in for the timing belt done and now i got it back get the same code and it takes sometimes up to 4x to start it but i usually can do it in 2 now that im gettin used to it but this is goin to fry my starter if i dont get it fixed and its also consuming alot of gas on start ups bc of this. ur car seems slow bc it is goin into limp mode and to avoid this u would have to have a code clear to clear it after every time u start like i do and thats gettin real annoying so itd be awsome if someone could lend some knowledge

Old 09-25-2005, 08:33 PM

bump bc if the timing is off this can cause engine damage

Old 09-25-2005, 08:43 PM
Administrator

search on here they will be able to answer all your VAG questions.. and VAG will work for timing

Old 09-26-2005, 06:22 AM
1st Gear

I have the AWM block. Goldenchild, so you have the same damn problem? I just can't figure it out. If you get yurs fix, please update me. I'll do the same. I don't have a VAGCOM. So I can't check timing from that.

Old 09-26-2005, 07:15 AM

yes i have the same block but i dont have a damn vag either i really need to get one but the shop i took my car to took it back a few times and said he checked the timing 4x but he didnt use a vag bc he cant get real time read outs so he just did it by the book and everyones a damn ricer around me so no one else uses this tool

Old 09-26-2005, 12:39 PM
4th Gear

Do a search for Steve Hall Vag-Com Locator.

Old 09-27-2005, 03:06 AM
1st Gear

Well, I took one for the team.........I took my car in to the shop this morning to figure out why it doesn't start on the first try
(code P0341). He's gonna let me know whats wrong with it tomorrow or Wensdays. So as soon as I know, I will post up, so every one that has this problem can know how to fix it.

Quick Reply: How do I check to see if my timing is correct?