Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holiday Boost Gauge Install!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 04:19 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Holiday Boost Gauge Install!

ORIGINAL: chaos92287

ORIGINAL: A4speed

should be ~20

and where did you go through your firewall? cause when i first got my car a shop drilled straight through my sunroof drain plug. it works fine but i had to seal it up with caulking to prevent water from coming in. and i've been thinking of redoing all the lines i have going through there.
its right underneath the ECU, you unclip the ECU (keep it connected), pull it out of the way a little, and there is a huge entry way right to the inside of your car.

I will have to check on monday if i have any codes, i have no CEL. I think I have to calibrate the gauge but i don't know how to do that, do you think that is why the #'s are off?
thats what i've heard before but how does it run outside the ECU box? cause isn't that supposed to be completely sealed?

and it either needs to be calibrated or you have a vac leak
There is a rubber gromet that is on the front of the ECU box that seals it. For mine I cut a slit in it to run my SUB power wire through so I just ran the vacuum line through there to. It's a small enough hole that it still seals it and water won't get in.

Josh

Old 01-05-2008, 04:21 PM

beat ya to it josh, but yours is definitely explained better

Old 01-05-2008, 04:21 PM
5th Gear

oh ok. cause i have like 5 wires going through mine including a rather large power wire for my system. i just keep cutting open the hole in my drain plug and resealing it lol thanx guys

Old 01-05-2008, 04:25 PM
3rd Gear

the gauge should not have to be calibrated. It will almost definitely be calibrated before the manufacturer even boxes it up. Most likely the leak is at the back of the gage, or you have a broken/disconnected vacuum line somewhere on your engine. Youmaybe able to hear a leak or evenfeel it with your hand over the leak. best way is toseeitif you put a little soapy (liquid dish soap) water on the fittings and see if there are bubbles from a leak when you are under boost - kind of dangerous to be driving full boost on the highway with your gauge sticking out looking for little bubbles though. Just tighten down the fitting at the back of the gauge and see if the vac goes up to ~20. What psi does it boost up to? B/c if the gaugeis readingless than 10-12 psi with your chip, then you probably still have a leak somewhere. I'm guessing you should be holding boost at ~15-18 psig with a GIAC chip.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:31 PM
4th Gear

Yeah it should. Try this to find your leak:
http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64411

Did that on mine and found a check valve that was pretty much destroyed.

Josh

Old 01-05-2008, 04:33 PM

oh ok. cause i have like 5 wires going through mine including a rather large power wire for my system. i just keep cutting open the hole in my drain plug and resealing it lol thanx guys
my cd player is powered through the 75X fuse (also what my boost gauge is powered from). you can see the yellow wire by my steering wheel, but you could probably power your stereo through that instead of running it all the way to the battery too. 75X is right by the fuse box, I don't even know if its really considered a fuse since theres a bolt on the bottom that you can connect to.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:35 PM

the max boost ive done is 17.

average boost is 14-15

Old 01-05-2008, 04:36 PM
4th Gear

Why did you post that? The power wire will not do anything for your calibration. It's just for the lights in the the gauge. It's already cal. from the factory (or should be).

Josh

I bet you have a leak somewhere. Try the boost leak tester thing I posted.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:39 PM

ORIGINAL: ThePaintballGuy

Why did you post that? The power wire will not do anything for your calibration. It's just for the lights in the the gauge. It's already cal. from the factory (or should be).

Josh

I bet you have a leak somewhere. Try the boost leak tester thing I posted.

edited response, was a suggestion for chaos.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:40 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: A4speed

my cd player is powered through the 75X fuse (also what my boost gauge is powered from). you can see the yellow wire by my steering wheel, but you could probably power your stereo through that instead of running it all the way to the battery too. 75X is right by the fuse box, I don't even know if its really considered a fuse since theres a bolt on the bottom that you can connect to.
yeah its a fuse. just a large unusual one lol and i dont think that fuse could handle powering my system. small electronic parts no prob, but over 1000w i doubt it. i really should get a seperate battery for mine

Quick Reply: Holiday Boost Gauge Install!