Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hissing sound beneath passenger rear.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 12:41 AM
1st Gear
Default Hissing sound beneath passenger rear.

Wanted to check Audiforums to see if anyone had any info on this. The symptons are a low hissing sound coming from the passenger rear of the car right next to the wheel. I'm assuming it's something to do with the fuel pump being that it's in that general location. I checked with the other forums they said it may be a clogged fuel filter. Also it may be my fuel pump dieing. I have never changed the pump or filter so it could be either.

Anyone have this happen to them or know what may be causing this sound? I'm going to buy a new fuel filter and replace it this weekend just to see if that was the problem. If not fuel pump will be next, I figure I should try replacing the filter first though as it's only about $70 as apposed to the pump which is hella exspensive. Thanks any info would help.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:07 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Hissing sound beneath passenger rear.

filter is under $20 check ECStuning.com - can't help with your problem

Old 04-17-2007, 01:17 AM
1st Gear

I'm not talking about the oil filter, which is $5 from ECS, I just checked and they don't sell fuel filters. Advertiser from another forum said they cost $90 from dealer and he's selling them for $75 shipped.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:09 PM
2nd Gear

Fuel filter, when it goes bad or starts to relly clog you get a hissing nose, go to ecs tuning get the $8 part and its a 15 minute install, idid it over the weekend once you figure out how to pull off the conenctors its a cake walk, just make sure you save the gas there about a cup worth in there. you can search for the b6 fuel filter install on audiforums of DIY sites i fould it somewhere cant remeber

Old 04-17-2007, 01:12 PM
1st Gear

ECS does sell fuel filters, I got one from them a couple months ago. ES#3550, $40.95. This is for a B6, 1.8T.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:23 PM
1st Gear

I never met an audi fuel pump that wasn't noisy. This is my third Audi and they all were. Bosch fuel filters here for a better price.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...@Fuel%20Filter

Old 04-17-2007, 03:36 PM
2nd Gear

kpatz you really paid 40.95 for a fuel filter, god u got ripped off, i paid 8 bucks, my K&N was that much, i hope you got things mixed up it doesnt matter what filter you put in, after changing it once you are alset for the life of the car, ive replaced mine at 80K miles and it really wasnt even that clogged i can deff go another 80k with out worries

Old 04-17-2007, 04:32 PM
1st Gear

Where the heck did you find a B6 fuel filter for 8 bucks?? 40 bucks is the going rate just about everywhere, and I'm sure the dealership charges a lot more.

This is a FUEL filter we're talking about... not an oil filter...

Old 04-17-2007, 04:38 PM
3rd Gear

Prob is the fuel filter. They get clogged easy with crappy gas. Install is easy, even i did my own. Just wear goggles! And it is right under the passenger rear too

Old 04-18-2007, 03:37 AM
1st Gear

Yeah guys come on now, the fuel filter doesn't cost $8 thats the oil filter!

This is what I'm talking about:

http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=86691

Can someone confirm for me that this is the correct piece I should be buying to replace that ^^ (first image on the link above):

http://replacement.autopartswarehous...er&dp=true

Quick Reply: Hissing sound beneath passenger rear.